Thread: Lube for router table?

Lube for router table?

I just recently invested what I consider a pretty decent chunk of money into the whole incra Combo Number 3 router table with ls positioner and so far my only complaint is that the fense feels a little rough and makes a lot of noise. Considering the price of it everytime I hear that noise I can just picture the fence digging big trenches into the table even though I know that is not the case. Also small pieces keep catching on the router plate and ring with all the cutouts for the incra Clean Sweep dust setup no matter how hard I try to make sure it is perfectly level. as much as I hate to blame equipment when I know I am inexperienced, I think I have probably spent about three and a half hours on and off trying to make sure the plate was level but I am starting to think it just isn't flat.

Anyway the question is what can I use to lube the table up without destroying the table or causing issues when trying to finish the wood? The instructional video for incra said wax but it did not say What type and I am hesitant to just guess

I think most uses Minwax Paste Wax,been using it for yrs.It has to be reapplied bout every month.Your plate maybe set it on top of your table saw top or jointer bed to see if its flat---Carroll

I use slipit on all of my machines, including my router table; https://www.slipit.com/

Blog Entries
    It must be environmental but, the two things I've tried Slip-It on do nothing but bind and stick. Took forever to get it off and one drawer still sticks if not used for awhile. The product must work so I have to suspect the particular application. All that being said, the likelihood of the table being out of plane is more likely than the plate being our of plane. I would confirm that first; side top side, front to back and corner to corner.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    I use slipit on all of my machines, including my router table; https://www.slipit.com/
    One of the silicone-free variants?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Johnson's Paste Wax, Minwax, Briwax, Renaissance Wax, any good furniture wax. Heck, just rub it with a candle, the fence is extruded aluminum and anything short of acid or lye isn't going to hurt it.

Pull the plate out of the table and check with a short steel rule(like a 6" Starrett) and see if the rings grab. If they do call Incra, the plate's not flat or the rings aren't flush. Either way, that's grounds for a return and replacement and Incra used to be good about that. While you're at it, use a longer straightedge and some feeler gauges to check the plate(without the rings) front-back, left-right and corner to corner. If you can slide a .002 gauge under the straightedge anywhere the plate's not flat enough.

My guess is it's the top that isn't flat. MDF comes from the factory exceptionally flat but take a 27x44 piece of it, stress it with an HPL process and then cut a big-ass hole in one end and a 1/2x1-1/4 groove on one side, more than likely it won't be flat anymore. I don't remember what Incra says are acceptable tolerances on their router tables but I do remember they're pretty miserable. I'm not knocking Incra, any laminated router top with big holes and grooves cut into it isn't going to be flat no matter who makes it.

On the third hand, they put way too many adjustment points in their plates. A 10x12x3/8 aluminum plate shouldn't deflect with any load from a router motor, lift and downward pressure from anything less than a 200-lb. gorilla but they put 10 screws in for adjustment when 4 should suffice. Trying to get all those screws adjusted is a nightmare. I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift II in my table, I adjust the 4 corner screws on the long sides and forget the rest. I use that same 6" Starrett rule, adjusting each corner until the rule just doesn't catch on the plate. Ignore the rest or tighten them down until they just touch and back them off a tad. If you try to adjust all the screws you'll be chasing your tail 'til the cows come home.

Best of luck!

P.S. Worth reading: The Router Table
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 11-12-2017 at 9:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    One of the silicone-free variants?
    Yes, either the liquid or the gel.

Suggest you email Incra. I believe they care about their products working right as much as you do, and they'll make it right.

You're probably tired of spending money, but if you don't own a precision straight edge, get one. A 36" one will let you check your router table and any other surface that depends on being flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
    Johnson's Paste Wax, Minwax, Briwax, Renaissance Wax, any good furniture wax. Heck, just rub it with a candle...
    Renaissnace Wax is my choice when I want things to slide easily. I did make the mistake of putting it on a lathe bed - it worked so well it was difficult to lock down the banjo and tailstock enough to keep them from sliding!

On the third hand,...
    A Niven/Pournelle motie reference?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    A Niven/Pournelle motie reference?

JKJ
    Yep, old SF fan here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Graham View Post
    Yep, old SF fan here!
    One of my favorite authors. Every 10 years or so I re-read the whole set of Known Space books, including some collections and the what Kzin books I have. Took me years (before Amazon) of hunting before I found The World of Ptavvs (in the Tattered Cover bookstore in Denver.)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-13-2017 at 4:07 PM.

I really do need to get some more precise measuring tools and straight edges luckily I am about done with all of the big purchases and should be able to concentrate on that here soon for right now though I have been using just cheap straight edges and speed squares from Lowe's and it has been driving me nuts that they can't even seem to agree with each other. I will have to see what I can get my hands on and give it another shot

Waxilit

For Iron Tops
    For Glue Squeezout

Google it
    No WoodShop should be without it.