Thread: Thoughts on Nova Comet II

Question Thoughts on Nova Comet II

I do varied kinds of projects in my shop, from traditional furniture creation to bent laminations and steam bending. I don't have a lathe at present, but have often wanted one for turning small pieces such as pulls, spindles and the like. I'm not interested in big bowl turning, but can imagine doing smaller round-ware for a little variety.

I have an opportunity for a used Comet II with a fair set of tools and accessories. Is this a good choice? I'm frankly not keen on the electronics part, but seems like it may have a pay-off on a lathe.

Thoughts?

I purchased one for my daughter about 4 years ago and she has not had any problems with it.
    If you do longer spindles you may want the bed extension. With 16" between centers it can get short if you upgrade the live center, use a chuck, or want to drill.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I bought one of the early units about 5 years back. I made some modifications to get the unit to get it fastened firmly to a base. The slow speed does not have much power due to the small pulley diameter on motor, but mid and high speed range work well. Electronic motor control has not been an issue and is nice to have as is reverse. I did have to replace the on/off switch once. It is a good lathe for light work but larger unbalanced work can be a problem. I turn little lidded boxes about 3-6"D x 4-6"H and it works well. It should serve you well for small work. Enjoy.