Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 year old Shopsmith. Curious of the appraisal

10 year old Shopsmith. Curious of the appraisal

Good day. I inherited this table saw and I don't have the space for it. It's fairly heavy & on casters. I took many images of it. If anyone happens to know of it's worth, that would most appreciated. I'll try to answer as many questions as I am able. I'm sorry if some of the images came out sideways. When I moved them to my computer, I found out I wasn't as tech clever as I thought I was.

Thank you very much in advance.

- Thomas.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a Shopsmith. It is supposed to be several tools in one (table saw, band saw, drill press, sander and lathe). Around here, they bring a few hundred dollars if you have most of the parts. It appears that you have the bans saw, so that might raise the price a couple hundred. Check your local Craigslist and see what others are offering Shopsmiths for. Theyaren't a bad tool for someone who has a lot of time and very little space.

Thomas,

What you have is a Shopsmith model 510. This is a later model, which has an additional bearing in the head unit, a better table/fence system, and can be recognized as such by the red switch. Earlier models had a toggle switch.

The bandsaw was an extra, making the unit worth a bit more also.

If you have all the parts that come with it, it should sell for about $5-700 where I live, easy. Just be sure to advertise it on your local craigs list as the 510 model. There is a Shopsmith website you can go to for more specific information. Google it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

It is a model 520 Shopsmith OR a model 510 that was upgraded. The difference is the fence system.
    https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_st...ble_system.htm

You should have a tag with a date and model number on the end of the head stock.

As someone else said, it may have a few years on it but in Shopsmith years it is a newer model. My shopsmith I purchased in 1989 and it looks and runs like brand new.
    With that information, I would look on line and see what they are selling for in your area. Prices are all over the place on them. Because as you can see, they have been manufactured for years and last forever. Bunch of them out there.

Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-13-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Shop Smith prices are harder to nail down than a ball bearing

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Shop Smith prices are harder to nail down than a ball bearing
    That's hitting the ball bearing on the head! lol.

I do have a Shopsmith. I got mine free. With the band saw and jointer. Most I've seen go for a few hundred. People ASK for lots of money because they pay a lot for them new, but I don't think they get what they want. It's a niche tool, for people that don't have room as mentioned above. For those guys, it works.

I sold one a year ago for $600 to the first person who answered the ad. It was just like the OP's. Prices a couple years ago were down, but are now higher again in my area.

I hope the OP comes back to check his answers.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Good Morning Gentlemen,

Thank you for your posts. Sorry I didn't get back the next day. First time on this site & I wasn't sure how long it would take for a response. Then I was distracted with life and remembered only last night to check the listing. Ha. Let's try & solve this mystery a little bit. I live in Raleigh, North Carolina. I will do some research on pricing on google & craigslist. Here is a tag I found. I hope it's what we are looking for. When you said I hope it comes with all the able parts. What you see here is all I have. All that was inherited.
    Thank you so much for your time & answers. 20171108_131449.jpg -Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

20171108_131509.jpgI found another tag with a different set of numbers on it a different side of the machine.

Hi David. Based on this link https://www.shopsmith.com/getting_st...ble_system.htm . I will take some more images of the images found on this link to help narrow it down. Talk to you all soon.

As mentioned, setting a price is a roll of the dice. Search your local Craigslist, if you are near a large city there are usually a few listed. The bandsaw is pretty nice, recently bought one for a friend and I was really surprised on how well it worked. I have an older model, and find myself using the horizontal boring setup lots.

Robert

Thanks. I'm just trying to figure out what model I have.

Hi Robert. Can you help me determine what these tools on the overall table saw are ? I'm just not a tool guy. I can do the research, but I was hoping you could tell me in 3 seconds. ha!

There is a Shopsmith forum at: http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-19-2017 at 2:03 PM.

I just did a quick search on Craigslist, here's what' available around Atlanta: https://atlanta.craigslist.org/searc...uery=ShopSmith I'm not a Shopsmith guy so that's about all I can offer in the way of help.
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 11-19-2017 at 6:33 PM.