Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Festool Sander worth the $$

Is Festool Sander worth the $$

As with most things I have learned in life, higher cost usually equals higher quality and performance. is the Festool sander truly worth the money?

Looking forward to your expert advice.

What specific sander do you have in mind?

Also, how do you plan on using it? Any special needs?

I have not picked out a specific model. I would mainly use it to sand raised panels and such in prep for staining and/or painting.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Romero View Post
    As with most things I have learned in life, higher cost usually equals higher quality and performance. is the Festool sander truly worth the money?

Looking forward to your expert advice.

Hard to say if it's worth it for someone else. I have several Festool sanders and like them. There was a time when I scoffed at their price and couldn't justify them.

Hard to say more without knowing which sander you might be considering. From what you said about use I'm guessing you'd be looking at a finish sander - an ETS or ETS EC.

If you buy locally you can take full advantage of the 30 day return policy without paying return shipping. Just note that only the tool is returnable - not accessories such as pads or paper.

The question about which specific sander really is relevant. The 6" ROS mostly get big kudos whereas the 5" ROS get a little lest glowing commentary.

I will say that I wouldn't give up my 150-3 and Rotex 150 for sure. They work extremely well, have excellent dust control and don't cause my hands to go numb...which is why I bought them in the first place.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I own one green tool, the ETS 150/3 ROS. It took about 2 years for me to pull the trigger but I have no regrets. I have a shelf full of PC sanders of different types that I haven’t used since buying the ETS... That’s not entirely true, I still use my PC-505 occasionally.

P.s., I use my ETS 150/3 hooked up to my Fein Turbo III vacuum with great results. Pairing it with the Festool vacuum is not a requirement.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 11-13-2017 at 11:55 PM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I own a Rotex 150 and a finish sander. The Rotex can do double duty and replace a belt sander and do an adequate job of finish sanding. That said, IMHO they're only worth the money if you pair them with the HEPA vacuum. Dust collection is where they excel. The sandpaper is also very good and lasts longer than less expensive brands.

There are 2 features common to all Festool sanders which I think make them worth the money:

1. Great dust collection; in fact, I'd say better than any other sander I've used. The best collection is with a Festool vac.
    2. Festool sandpaper - It is long lasting, does a great job, and really isn't that expensive, especially since it lasts longer than other brands. Just so you know, you must use Festool's sandpaper.

Mirka. Mirrrrrrrrrrrrrkkaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh... Mirka
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Mirka. Mirrrrrrrrrrrrrkkaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh... Mirka
    What he said

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    There are 2 features common to all Festool sanders which I think make them worth the money:

1. Great dust collection; in fact, I'd say better than any other sander I've used. The best collection is with a Festool vac.
    2. Festool sandpaper - It is long lasting, does a great job, and really isn't that expensive, especially since it lasts longer than other brands. Just so you know, you must use Festool's sandpaper.
    On this point my experience is otherwise. I nearly exclusively use Abranet Mesh pads these days on my Festool ETS/3 and really love that combo. I have never been a fan of most of the Festool "sandpaper" line up, but I surely am impressed with the 3 sanders I own. In addition to the ETS/3 I have a RO150 and RO90 for detail work. Have yet to use Abranet with the RO90.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have the predecessor of the 150/3, the E2TE. In fact, mine is badged "Festo". Still running after 20+ years (I have replaced the pads a few times - currently running the same as the 150/3).

About a year ago I began using the Abranet mesh, both on the sander and the Mirka hand sanding pads. The latter is especially impressive.

It is important that you use an Abranet backing pad, and not use the Abranet mesh directly on the Festool pad, as it will wear away the hooked grip.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Which Mirka hand sanding pad do you use? Sounds like an interesting product.

Bryce

I like my Mirka. Very light weight and ajustable speed.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the ETS 150/3.

I really like it for 2 reasons, the dust collection and my hand doesn't go numb when I use it.

I no longer use my other random orbital sanders................Regards, Rod.