Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Festool Sander worth the $$

I have Festool's smallest sander and like it. I use it the most because it is the lightest sander I have found. I make small crafty items so I really do not need a big powerful sander.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Finn View Post
    I have Festool's smallest sander and like it. I use it the most because it is the lightest sander I have found. I make small crafty items so I really do not need a big powerful sander.
    Which one is that? I'm looking to use my $50 coupon before it expires without breaking the bank. I'm strongly leaning toward the RTS 400.

125 esl A small light, 5" sander.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Thanks. Buying that one is why I have a $50 coupon!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Thanks. Buying that one is why I have a $50 coupon!
    Just make sure you purchase the ETS 125 "REQ" - and not the regular 125 as some vendors may have the older model which is discountinued and has the weaker motor. The REQ is the newest version and the power increase and better ergonomics is noticeable in my opinion.

I have the ETS EC 150/3 and its been worlds better than the $50 DeWalt it replaced which was really the only other ROS sander Id owned. Ive since added the RTS 400 EQ.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a load of Festool machines. ALL OF THEM do cost more, but they are bombproof. You get what you pay for, but you will not be disappointed. Well designed, built and engineered, they really are the best tools out there today. I have all kinds of tools which fill up my shop, these are a "Go To Tool". Besides, it's Christmas, buy it.

YES, but that is IMHO for my use. I have three ETS 125, RS 2 E and DTS 400 REQ (actually 4 due to buying an additional ETS 125 REQ during the "special offer"). Perfect example of putting my money where my mouth is, if I wasn't happy with the first one I sure wouldn't have bought the others. Getting close to buying the RO 125 FEQ to supplement my belt sander.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 11-17-2017 at 8:26 PM.

Where do you guys buy paper for the 400? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.

The finest I see is 220- do they make any finer than that, say 400 grit for finishes?

EDIT- just found it. Up to 400 grit in the Granat paper.
    Last edited by Dave Zellers; 11-17-2017 at 11:05 PM.

Dave, try BobMarinosBestTools.com if you need small quantities. He often has 10-packs of various items.

Which model of Mirka do you Mirka lovers recommend? I looked on their web page and they show different options / models. I have been thinking about upgrading and now is the time to do it with black friday deals already up and running.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Where do you guys buy paper for the 400? I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.

The finest I see is 220- do they make any finer than that, say 400 grit for finishes?

EDIT- just found it. Up to 400 grit in the Granat paper.
    Yes, Rubin tops out at "220", so you need to use the Granat (stearated) papers for going up into the "finish-sanding" realm.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Dave, try BobMarinosBestTools.com if you need small quantities. He often has 10-packs of various items.
    Thanks for that! Great sandpaper selection and free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    Which model of Mirka do you Mirka lovers recommend? I looked on their web page and they show different options / models. I have been thinking about upgrading and now is the time to do it with black friday deals already up and running.
    I have the Ceros and Deros in the shop. The Ceros has been discontinued, but the Deros is really good as well.

They're expensive, but in my opinion the cheapest sander available. I was impressed enough after five minutes of using a a Ceros that I ordered one up that day, and a couple more a few weeks later. I was sure I'd hate the feel of the Deros in my hand, but it's not as bulky feeling as it looks. The cord is a lot lighter than the Deros, which is nice. The Ceros lasts a good couple of years in my shop at the down draft table where it gets the harshest use.

My experience with the Festool sanders is pretty limited, but I haven't been blown away by them.

Thanks for that! Great sandpaper selection and free shipping.
    Yup, and the shipping is surprisingly quick, for being free.