Thread: How long do posts stay alive in the forum?

How long do posts stay alive in the forum?

It seems I cannot find any of my old posts. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Romero View Post
    It seems I cannot find any of my old posts. Am I missing something?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=8621263
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Brent

Do you have something disabled in your browser? I clicked on your name and your posts go back to 2012.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thanks Dave....I think I figured it out. Thanks

All contents are "permanent" at SMC. The forum doesn't delete content and doesn't permit members to delete content to preserve the integrity of the knowledge-base. (There are obviously a few minor exceptions when there are some specific issues with particular posts, etc., that have to be moderated or removed for cause)

That said, the search feature does sometimes work in a wonky way...and even folks like me who have been here since almost the beginning, sometimes have trouble finding stuff!!

Jim
    Forum Moderator

I was surprised by Jim Becker's answer. When I click on my name, I see a list of my posts, but only back to October 2017. I assumed that SMC was deleting older posts. Does anybody have a suggestion? I was looking for a thread that I participated in so that I could refer somebody to it.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    I was surprised by Jim Becker's answer. When I click on my name, I see a list of my posts, but only back to October 2017. I assumed that SMC was deleting older posts. Does anybody have a suggestion? I was looking for a thread that I participated in so that I could refer somebody to it.

Doug
    Doug, when I click on your avatar and then click on “Find latest posts” it shows your posts going back to 12-29-2007. Here’s a link to your first post - Pre-WWII

You have 15 pages of posts, I think you are only looking at page 1 of 15.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Finding old messages

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Doug, when I click on your avatar and then click on “Find latest posts” it shows your posts going back to 12-29-2007. Here’s a link to your first post - Pre-WWII
    You have 15 pages of posts, I think you are only looking at page 1 of 15.
    Bruce,

Is there a limit to the number of messages? When I click "Find latest posts" for my own profile it quits at 500 messages, this the earliest.

message_history.jpg

With the search feature I can see some earlier messages, back to mid 2015, but this required a lot of manual paging and scanning. (I couldn't make the advanced search work as I expected.) Is there a direct way to see a list of older messages?

JKJ

Bruce,

Thank you. You helped me see my problem. When I click on my avatar, or go to my page(s) by another means, I see one page of posts in reverse chronological order. This misdirected me because I assumed that older posts should follow on subsequent pages. Until your response, I did not realize that I should click on "latest posts" to see older posts. That's funny in its way. Problem solved.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Bruce,

Is there a limit to the number of messages? When I click "Find latest posts" for my own profile it quits at 500 messages, this the earliest.

message_history.jpg

With the search feature I can see some earlier messages, back to mid 2015, but this required a lot of manual paging and scanning. (I couldn't make the advanced search work as I expected.) Is there a direct way to see a list of older messages?

JKJ
    You’re right. Mine stops at 500 also. I wonder if something’s changed, I don’t recall it always being like that.

By doing an advanced search and using Bruce Page as “Keyword(s)” and Bruce Page as “User name” I was able to find my first post from 2/13/2003.

The vBulletin search function has always left much to be desired.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney