Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What type of Primer and Paint for MDF High Gloss cabinet doors?

SW's ProClassic is a WB 100% Acrylic, available in gloss and I think SW's full color palette. It dries fast and cures to a hard, durable finish. Another SW's option would be Kem Aqua Plus White. How much that can be tinted, I'm not sure.

John

Won’t the waterborne stuff cause the MDF to fuzz or swell?

Quote Originally Posted by John Beonme View Post
    Nope. Excessive water might affect the MDF, but the act of painting it isn't going to cause a problem. And water borne finishes dry quickly, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    I don't think you can get anything other than waterborne in California due to VOC regulations
    I could be wrong but that’s for auto body shops only.

I believe the restrictions for VOC are broader than that and either preclude certain products or limit them to very small quantities. (like a quart instead of a gallon and at premium prices) The good news is that today's water borne products are pretty darn good. I actually ordered a gallon of Sher-Wood Kem Aqua Plus clear from my local Sherwin Willams store this afternoon for my current project. I haven't used it previously but have read good things about it. While I have a long time "affection" for Target Coatings products, the cost of shipping is "up there" when one only needs a gallon of something and the SW product is competitively priced (with a contractor's discount) with TC while bearing no shipping cost.
    --

Blog Entries
    I'd be very surprised at that. You may want to call and talk with a salesperson. You need a shop that deals with commercial coatings. Most in the strip malls now deal with home owners and have no clue what pre-cat post cat or actual lacquer even is.

Even here in Virginia there are voc control areas. All of northern Virginia waterborne only unless you are a shop with a papered (regulated) spray booth. It's the reason I have to drive 150 miles round trip for solvent lacquer and I'm not even inside any of the regulated areas.

SW stores can get any of the OEM and other commercial products (that are available in your geography)...you just have to ask them for it. (I did that yesterday for the Kem Aqua Plus) Most only stock regular paints and finishes used by homeowners and the local building trade, but have access to everything. I confirmed this with the company last week after a local associate "drew a blank" on anything that wasn't actually in the store. The person I worked with yesterday, however, knew exactly what to do and even knew another store that had the product in stock if I needed it by today. (which I didn't)
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    SW stores can get any of the OEM and other commercial products (that are available in your geography)...you just have to ask them for it. (I did that yesterday for the Kem Aqua Plus) Most only stock regular paints and finishes used by homeowners and the local building trade, but have access to everything. I confirmed this with the company last week after a local associate "drew a blank" on anything that wasn't actually in the store. The person I worked with yesterday, however, knew exactly what to do and even knew another store that had the product in stock if I needed it by today. (which I didn't)
    Tinting is the issue. All can order (though in my area sw has a 4 gallon minimum per product) but only stores that carry some the industrial line have the capability to tint.

As a example I was calling around for sw sherwood pre cat white lacquer. Of the 4 local sw stores that could sell it only one had the 844 tints needed to tint it.

If you use BIN pigmented shellac primer the WB paint won't be an issue.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Tinting is the issue. All can order (though in my area sw has a 4 gallon minimum per product) but only stores that carry some the industrial line have the capability to tint.

As a example I was calling around for sw sherwood pre cat white lacquer. Of the 4 local sw stores that could sell it only one had the 844 tints needed to tint it.
    Good information. Thanks!
    --