Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet peeve with forums

Pet peeve with forums

OK, here we go:

Why don't people who post a thread asking for advice about a manufacturer's tool of a given model number expect those who reply to either be intimately familiar with the model numbers of every tool produced by every manufacturer or spend time searching for it on Google?

If you want advice on a particular tool then post a link. It isn't that hard to do.

We want to help or we wouldn't be here. Spend the 30 seconds so it isn't hard to help you, you're the one asking for help after all.

Rant over.

I agree and disagree. it’s not asking too much for a poster to include a link or at least say what the specific machine is. But, many of us know a lot of the more common model numbers and if you don’t it’s really not that hard to do a 5 second google search.

If the title or first line of a post asks for something concerning a brand/model number and I don't recognize I just skip to the next thread since I won't have anything to contribute.

I think it would help if the person asking for help or advice simply described things in detail. More people might respond if they didn't have to play 20 questions first!

JKJ

I almost never post here, but check the site daily. Am amazed at how many folks ask questions before doing a simple search.

Google has made me look like a genius at my IT job — use it! And kudos to those of you who reply patiently “a simple google search reveals xxx...”

While I generally agree that it's helpful when folks clarify some details about a tool they are asking about, many questions are about well-know tools that a reasonable percentage of community members know about. Unfortunately, it's a normal thing for many people to just forget that cryptic model numbers are not necessarily meaningful to others. If I see something I'm not familiar with, I just look it up...a copy/paste and a few clicks of the rodent takes care of it. It's just not worth being bothered by the omission.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Often a question in a thread perks my interest to do a little research and look it up myself. Without the initial question I never would have done this. If everyone with qa question just went and googled it, forums like this would be diminished.

I think the more common problem with threads requesting tool information is advice from people who have ever used a machine and know nothing about it. They condemn based solely on brand or location of a manufacturing plant.

Links can get broken, and depending on the website can change quickly.
    If they provide a link, great. If not, as long as the model info is complete, it's pretty easy to help.
    I tend not to comment on tools I don't own personally.

One more reason, and I hate to say it, not everyone here is of an age where computers are second nature to them. I know it's just a simple copy and paste function, but I don't assume that everyone knows how to do it. I'm 58 myself, and watch guys my age at work struggle with all but the basic logon function and bring up their browser. A browser update can be a big hurdle for them. They're wizards with welders and milling machines, but not computers.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 11-15-2017 at 10:31 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Often a question in a thread perks my interest to do a little research and look it up myself. Without the initial question I never would have done this. If everyone with a question just went and googled it, forums like this would be diminished.
    Now that's an excellent point! When I have the time I learn a lot about things I'd never heard about. Of course, I'm not any help with that question.

It would be nice, however, if the poster added a telling key word such as "jointer" or "cyclone" after the "Need advice on XYZ model 4321".

Since this thread mentions "pet peeves" here's something which doesn't peeve me but in some cases might really help the poster - add their approximate location to their profile! If I see that a person who lives reasonably near me needs help with something or is looking for a special piece of wood or some repair I might just invite them to visit my shop or tell them about a place I know. I'm sure many others would too! Of course, someone hiding from [fill in blank] might prefer to not to.

JKJ

My own pet peeve is that folks link in their photo attachments from something like Flickr or Photobucket, then later they remove those pictures or cancel their membership or whatever and then the thread is missing those sometimes critical photo's. I wish it was a SMC requirement that SMC must host all the images contained withing its own threads.

In fact, the people with knowledge about the machine and therefore advice to give may many times know the machine by its part number. If you had to look up a link to learn about the machine, what advice could be given?

uploading photos vs linking

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    My own pet peeve is that folks link in their photo attachments from something like Flickr or Photobucket, then later they remove those pictures or cancel their membership or whatever and then the thread is missing those sometimes critical photo's. I wish it was a SMC requirement that SMC must host all the images contained withing its own threads.
    Some people may link a photo so it will show up larger than a thumbnail. For example if I upload it with "Insert Image, From Computer" I see a thumbnail which is often perfect but requires a click to view larger:

lathe_PM_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg

But occasionally a larger in-line image is useful. If I insert the same photo using a link I get this:

Of course it is possible to do as I just did here, link to a photo previously uploaded to SMC, but it takes an extra step. And to be kind to the reader it may need to be sized reasonably before uploading which takes another extra step.

(Yikes, this makes me want to escape from my pressing lesson prep desk project and go down to the shop for a couple of hours!)

JKJ

I don't think this site allows posted links, for some reason I don't understand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I don't think this site allows posted links, for some reason I don't understand.
    Sure we do. Here is the TOS regarding links:
    3. External Linking
    Links to other websites are allowed in posts. In fact, they are encouraged. However, links for the sole purpose of marketing, generating traffic to a site, or any other commercial advertisement deemed to solicit commercial benefit are not allowed. Links to other public or private forums are not allowed. Links should be submitted as references, for the sole purpose of generating or supporting discussions on SawMill Creek.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I found the answer to a posters question. It happened to be on another forum. What's the problem with posting that link which does the service of answering a question ? This is a pet peeve of mine. Other forums allow this practice with pleasure as it increases everyone's knowledge base.