Thread: Length of Stanley #3 planes?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Length of Stanley #3 planes?

As mentioned in the earlier post by Peter Joseph , I mentioned that I have 3 bases for #3 Stanley planes, all just happen to be Bedrock planes. The lengths are 8&5/8" for two of them and 8&3/4" for the other one.

However, "the Superior Works, Patrick's Blood and Gore" site lists the length of a Bailey #3 as 8." My #3 planes are Bedrocks not Baileys, so I have no #3 Baileys to measure. (Other Stanley planes I have are Baileys, but not my #3s.)

My question is "what lengths are the Stanley #3 Bailey's and 603 Bedrocks you have. Are any of them actually 8"s long? I have read that the length of the Stanley planes varied from time to time.

For what it's worth, all of them are nearly as long as my #4s. Also, for what it's worth, my understanding is that you do not count the length of raised area at the heel that supports the back end of the Tote. You only measure the length of the area that is all on the same flat.

Please understand I am not casting any doubt on the Blood and Gore site, it is one of my favorite ones on Stanley planes, what I am saying, however is that the planes seem to vary in length over the years.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-14-2017 at 9:21 PM.