Thread: Kidney stones

Kidney stones

Just talked to a friend on the phone. He is 65 and has had kidney stone problems since age 12. He has also had three strokes, and sometimes cannot process info well.

He has been getting over a recent kidney stone problem, and they analyzed the stone. He says they told him to drink more Crystal Lite, but he is not sure what they meant. I told him it was a lemonade mix from any store.

I can only assume they asked him what he liked to drink, and he said lemonade. I go to lunch with him often, and he does order lemonade sometimes.

Does this make sense?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Google "crystal light for kidney stones"
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

The Urologist told me to drink beer.....seriously,,,he did!
    He told me to drink cranberry juice - and I mentioned I hated the stuff and asked why can't you say drink more beer?
    He said,"Sure, beer is good! Anything that makes you go is good!".
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I have had kidney stone issues since I was 13 (56 now). A urologist told me to mix one part lemon juice with 15 parts water to help prevent stone formation. It has worked very well. Maybe the Crystal Light accomplishes the same thing.

Scott

I had one stone and that was enough. There are different kinds of stones. Mine was a Calcium Oxalate stone, one of the most common. I was told to drink lots of fluids including Orange Juice because the Citric Acid in the OJ inhibited the formation of the stones. I was also told to avoid food high in Oxalic Acid like strawberries, nuts, spinich, chocolate and some others. Chocolate ignored the advice and crept back into me. I was also told to go low sodium because kidneys are lazy and filter out everything and put the easiest stuff back into your blood. The salt is easy so back in it goes and the other minerals you can use get peed out. I have a book somewhere that explains all the kidney stone stuff but can't lay my hands on it. Some searching should come up some books to read.

Welcome to the not so wonderful world of RENAL COLIC. Got my membership in 1979, and renew it regularly. As recently as last summer. Here's the amazing thing. Had a pinched nerve in neck that hurt so bad, didn't realize I had a stone with infection, along with pneumonia.

My Urologist told me to drink real lemonade as the acid would help to keep the stones at bay. I told him I liked crystal lite and he said all that would dis make you pee alot which is ok but real lemonade will help prevent the stone plus make you P a lot. They want you to p a lot to keep the stones moving and pass them out.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Kidney stones...if you don't have Crystal Lite would you use water or oil on them?

Could... Citrus beverages, fruit juices & wine are higher in acid content and likely drink better than Vinegar. The acid chemistry of food & beverages typically involve acetic, citric, tannic, malic & lactic acids, among others. Their goal may be to lower the pH of kidney and bladder contents to potentially retard rapid formation of crystalline "stones" which are chemically more alkaline or "basic" in nature.
    Last edited by Morey St. Denis; 11-15-2017 at 10:55 PM.

I can’t exactly remember the exact process but it has the Oxalic acid being “tied up” chemically in the upper intestine so that further down the gut it isn’t absorbed. That lowers the amount in the blood for the kidneys to remove and it can’t combine with calcium to form stones.

I forgot to mention...

Along with a very miserable kidney stone - I also found out the hard way you can get stones in your salivary gland(s)!!!
    Who knew?!?

& yes - they are every single bit as miserable and painful as their "Southern cousins"..
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Thank you for all the replies.

I will relay this info to my friend, and hope it helps.

Boy, am I glad I never had this problem. Must be all the taco sauce I eat.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.