Thread: Sargent Smoothing Plane - 4 1/2

Sargent Smoothing Plane - 4 1/2

I was given a Sergent smoothing plane which is the size of a Stanley 4 1/2 C. It needs help, including a new iron, and the usual fettling, including a new tote. Does anyone here know whether this plane will be worth the expense and effort? By "worth", I mean either becuase of its value on the used market, or as a user (which is why it was given to me. If so, I will get at it; if not, then it will go in the pile of things that don't get done, which is already not a small pile.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan

It's not going to be worth your time and effort. Pack it all up and send it to me.
    Possumpoint

Sergant planes as I understand it are the equal of Stanley's the Sergant VBM ( Very Best Made ) are better in quality. If it is complete why not tune it up, if you dont like it I am sure it can be sold pretty quick.

4. It depends. Sargent made planes from Bedrock quality to Handyman quality to use Stanley terms.

Top of the line planes were V-B-M with Bedrock type frog adjustment and had Stanley type markings (i.e. 4 1/2 C). These are very collectable and worth restoring if you can find an original blade and tote. If not, it would be a great user.

Next were V-B-M s with Bailey type adjustments and were marked with a 4xx system with the xx being the length. In your case that would be a 410, usually stamped on the blade (which you don't have ) and sometimes on the back of the lever cap. This would as good as the best Baileys as a user.

Later, Sargent made a lower line with just "SARGENT" on the cap and no frog adjusting screw still using the 4xx system. These were good quality planes and would make a good user.

Then there was the "Hercules" line with a plain lever cap and hardwood totes that were also rebadged and sold by resellers such as Sears and Montgomery Ward. Not worth the effort to restore but the parts you have might sell pretty well on ebay due to the desirable size.

5. Hi Alan,

I have a rebadged Sargent--a 4C sold by Craftsman--that is a great user. It's one I chose to not sell in my latest sell-off. I put a Hock blade in it. Solid user.

Mike

Wink

Thanks to all, except Richard of course. (:

I will take a closer look and try to update this tomorrow or so, if CRS doesn't set in again.
    Alan Turner

Alan;

I thought my suggestion would save you the most effort, oh well.
    Possumpoint

Well, I was at the new shop yesterday, and only had a partial CRS moment, which for me is pretty good. This plane is marked "410" which is cast into the body just forward of the tote. I forgot to check the style of hte frog.

I put a Hock iron and cap iron in my 604C, and it is an outstanding smoother, so I guess I will give this a fettle and new iron also, although not before looking a bit closer. I initially note that the iron and cap iron are loose, and I am not sure that the screw that holds both to the frog is not too long, or perhaps has been replaces with the wrong one. Or, maybe the lever cap is the wrong one.

Should I need a part or two, are there any sources? I recall that Stanley used very specialized hardware, requiring you to return to Stanley for a part, while many companies used off the shelf hardware, which allows one a trip to the local hardware store. Does anyone know how Sergent approached this issue?

Thanks for everyone's help.
    Alan Turner