Thread: Low angle shavings...

Low angle shavings...

Maybe I was just bored. It wasn't for a project, I just felt like experimenting with my planes. I decided to measure some shavings.

With the LA Jack, I was able to consistently get shavings between .002 and .0025 thick. I may have been able to do better, but I also wanted to experiment with the BU Smoother, and bath time was rapidly approaching. I was able to reliably get shavings slightly less than .001" thick with the smoother. It's silly, but somehow, it was very satisfying.

Yes, I did show my wife. She didn't pat me on the head, but it was a near thing. My son said "cool" and went back to his legos.

It did convince me to finish off the table top with hand tools. Now if that LA Jointer would just arrive...

Yep, most folks just don't understand. The other evening I took my grand daughter out to the shop to show her the progress on the shadow box I'm making for her Baptismal keepsakes. Now I showed her a shaving or two on some scrap and she seemed pretty enthused. So I remembered an earlier post here about writing the kid's name onto the workpiece, then shaving it off. Now she was really enthused with that.

Of course I've known she had the "bug" for a while. She was visiting my shop some time ago, guess she was 6 or 7 at the time, and I was doing some stuff on the scroll saw. I'd given her a few pieces of scrap to play with (the kid has a wonderful imagination) and when I looked over where she was sitting, she was imitating the cutting motion of the scroll saw with a couple small pieces of scrap.
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.