Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extending my wifi coverage

Aerial ethernet cable would be my choice. String some wire between two poles and then fasten the CAT 6 to that or perhaps run a UV resistant conduit along the wire and run the CAT 6 in that. Be careful to make sure the entry to the conduit is facing down at both ends or out of the weather to prevent water entry. Leave a draw wire in the conduit for any further maintenance.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

150 yards (450') is beyond the 100 meter limit for wired Ethernet using copper wire. (The limit for MOCA over COAX is the same) It would require a fiber optic run to get that distance...which is certainly doable and likely less expensive than laser over-the-air transmission. You could also use point-to-point wireless connections between the building. You'd still need an access point in your shop to provide wireless (and/or wired) networking to your devices.

I will also caution you that voice calling via sat service will likely be maddening for you because of the delays if you try to leverage WiFi Calling from your mobile phone. You can't change the laws of physics relative to the time it takes packets to reach out from your home to the satellite in orbit and back down to the terrestrial system. Honestly, the land line is still your friend in your particular situation, IMHO, if you don't have good cellular service to your property.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    150 yards (450') is beyond the 100 meter limit for wired Ethernet using copper wire.
    You beat me to it, I was just thinking the same thing. There are extenders but they need to be in the cable. Google might have the answer but it may not be cheap....https://www.google.com.au/search?cli...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Have you considered making your own wifi antenna system? There are tons of videos on you tube. Many use an old satellite dish and a wireless card to operate. Even a "cantenna" might work. Dongles can be had on ebay for as little as $5, and old satellite dishes are FREE at the dumpsters. Just remember that you have to mount satellite dish up side down, or point it towards the ground.

I have used ubiquiti nanobeam m5 to bring faster internet over 2 miles and then splitting it up in between several buildings on that site. They work very reliably but take some knowledge to get them set up the first time, basically making sure the correct boxes are check. You are able to find all of this online on several forums. I will be setting up another this winter. Well worth the money. You might be able to use one of their cheaper products since you are only going 150 yards.

If this is about sharing the internet from the house, you may want to give this a go:
    https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA...rline+ethernet

Don't believe the hyped speeds, and it needs to be on the same circuit at both ends (where does the power for the shop come from?), but it's supposed to work up to a theoretical distance of 300+ meters. At around $40, it's likely worth trying?