Thread: Demakersvan Cinderella table

Blog Entries

Demakersvan Cinderella table

I think this table is really cool. If you haven't seen it before, check it out.

I've never bent plywood, I'm guessing this falls under the category of super difficult : )

Link:
    https://www.moma.org/collection/works/105005

Blog Entries
    According to the description it was made of thin sections of wood individually cut and glued together by hand, no bending was required.

Each layer was machine cut from a sheet of plywood to the shape and then glue needed to the adjacent layer one layer at a time to build the table.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-15-2017 at 10:09 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've never seen or imagined anything like it. To me, however, it looks more like packaging than furniture.

Interesting idea. A "Princess Table" can't be beige, needs gold leaf and jewels.

On the linked MOMA site, you can click on the photo to see an enlarged photo. If you look into that heart-shaped area on the right, you can see pretty clearly that it is plywood. (Plywood does conform to that description which Lee cites "thin layers of wood glued together", although "plywood" may not be museum talk.) I'm pretty sure the whole thing is Baltic Birch, and what you might perceive as grain lines are actually the glue lines in the plywood. Probably the table was designed in a CAD system, which helped figure out the shaped of each section to be cut from the plywood panels. Then the pieces were glued together, and the parts were blended together with sanders or power carvers. It is a whole bunch of work.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    I think this table is really cool. If you haven't seen it before, check it out.

I've never bent plywood, I'm guessing this falls under the category of super difficult : )

Link:
    https://www.moma.org/collection/works/105005
    Virtually impossible although pretty interesting result that's for sure!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Virtually impossible although pretty interesting result that's for sure!
    Columbia Forest Products makes radius bending plywood that is flexible, but certainly not to the extent you would need to make the cinderella table from a single sheet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I've never seen or imagined anything like it. To me, however, it looks more like packaging than furniture.
    Have a look at it from this alternate view and I'll bet it won't look like packaging to you anymore.
    https://www.centrepompidou.fr/cpv/re...cMabRb/rjygann

If it were simple enough for any of us to figure out and summarize in a few sentences, I doubt it would be on display at the Pompidou Centre and MOMA. Amazing