Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need blanchard grinding Southern California

Need blanchard grinding Southern California

I need to have an 8" jointer blanchard ground. I tried shimming the ways but I can't get the beds co-planar.

I found one outfit that can do the job for $525 but the jointer cost only $30 (plus scraping, sanding, painting etc) and it's not worth putting that much money into. It's a no-brand 1980's Taiwanese machine, not some classic American old iron.

The dimensions are 8 3/4" x 63 1/2". Any help welcomed!

thanks, Mark

Screen Shot 2017-11-15 at 8.02.28 AM.jpg

Edit - on the plus side, the 1 1/2 hp 110/240 volt motor works great. So far.

I can't imagine getting it done for less than several hundred dollars. What brand? I'd keep trying to shim it.

Does anyone know of a place that does surface planing? Almost all my European machines have planed surfaces which work great and have a fabulous appearance, and only considerably older US machines. Based on the question about blanchard surfacing, I've just wondered if it is even possible to get surfacing with a planed finish in the US?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    I think you will be dissatisfied with the blanchard grinding. It generally leaves swirl marks on the surfaces.
    blanchard-ground-plate.jpg-1.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Rereading your post I see that you've already received one estimate. I can't believe the others would be far behind in scale. It is a lot of money especially considering the value of the tool and the risk that when done you might be no better off. I can't believe they grind with the tables attached - so how would you describe what needs to be done for the job to be successful? I'm with Joe on this one, keep shimming.

This kind of situation can arise with any machine even a quality tool if mishandled and it is a good lesson that acquiring a machine can end up costing oodles of time, money and frustration with no clear end in sight. Probably not a one of us that hasn't had something similar happen.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 11-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

What you want to find is someone with a large surface grinder. Likely won't be cheap. Maybe a shop that can rework truck heads.

Mark just look for another joint jointer there's so many to choose from out here. If you really want to be a smart buyer invest in a precision straight edge to check the machine before you buy it.
    I was just surfing the that buy and sell place called letgo last night and saw a few there.
    Good luck hunting.
    Im also on the scout for a small jointer. but I'm real picky and have plenty of time.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Mark just look for another joint jointer there's so many to choose from out here. If you really want to be a smart buyer invest in a precision straight edge to check the machine before you buy it.
    I was just surfing the that buy and sell place called letgo last night and saw a few there.
    Good luck hunting.
    Im also on the scout for a small jointer. but I'm real picky and have plenty of time.
    Heh, you're lucky. I went poking around that site, not really looking for anything but seeing what they have and there's one guy selling a broken 1940s lathe without a motor for $600. Sure pal, whatever you say. It looks like it's essentially scrap metal in a scrap yard. I never have any luck on these sites because woodworking is hardly even a thing out where I am.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm talking to a couple of places, and if I get it done I'll come back here and let you all know how it turned out.

Mark

Mark ... I had my 12" beds re-surfaced at a engine re-builder ... using the head re-surfacer.
    It took the guy under 10 minutes to set-up for a cut.
    Finish was perfect ... cost <$100 as I recall.
    I'd do-it-again !

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    Mark ... I had my 12" beds re-surfaced at a engine re-builder ... using the head re-surfacer.
    It took the guy under 10 minutes to set-up for a cut.
    Finish was perfect ... cost <$100 as I recall.
    I'd do-it-again !
    Good info!

I had a PM66 table saw top with wings done for $75.00 but that is in Michigan.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Why do they need grinding? You do not say they are not flat. All grinding will do is make them flat, coplaner is another thing entirely. It will cost a good bit for the shop to fixture them since they are not flat on the bottom and it will take a long time to secure them properly.
    Bill

Bill - far as I know, manufacturers grind tables to be flat and co-planar as the final step before sending a machine to market. That's what I'm aiming for.
    I'm not in the least bit familiar with any on this however, and so I'm not following what you are telling me in the last part of your post. I'd appreciate it if you can restate what you mean but bear in mind I'm starting from zero with any of this process.
    That said, I'm all jazzed now to find an engine re-surfacer as advised by Sam.

Also beware that your miter gage might be to high once the top is ground down?
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006