Thread: Custom knives for moulder head - source needed

Custom knives for moulder head - source needed

I've been in touch with several companies that I recognize (Schmidt and Moore and a couple other) regarding custom knives for a moulder head. Specifically stile and rail knives. It seems the range of prices is pretty narrow and in the $290 - $320 per knife set (total of 4 knives). Does any one have another source that charges less? The cutter head is a 1.25 bore x 2" tall x 4 diameter. It accepts standard 5/16 corrugated knives. Thanks for any help!

It's been years since I ordered any. You will probably get some current good names here. A lot of companies give you a quote based on the cheapest lousy steel,rather than lose the job to someone else doing that. To get something good ,without springing for premium , insist on REAL M2 not something with "same hardness". Some will leave off "side clearance grinding " unless you insist on it . For best match, give them the cut degree angle of your head. They get asked for a lot of quotes ,best to use email so that you have a record of specs.

i just had a set made from wmoore. yeah, they are expensive. but, this is precision work, and needs to be done properly... on my set, i upgraded the steel, and the rail/stile set was $320 or so.

It has been many years since I got a S&R profile from CGG Schmidt, but I had them do both profiles on the same knife and just got a pair. You might add mirror reflections to the short list of good profile grinders https://www.mr-moulding-knives.com/.
    JR

Talk to Bobby at Woodworkerstoolworks.com in Melrose Wis. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Talk to Bobby at Woodworkerstoolworks.com in Melrose Wis. Dave
    It's good. I've ordered a couple of custom steel router bits from them. Years ago I ordered some stock thing that ,upon arrival ,I saw was not going to work for my purpose. They said "sure,just send it back". Long time later it came back to me marked undeliverable. When I called them they explained that they had moved to another state! They were still using the old invoices . "They are supposed to be crossing the old address out and stamping on the new one" A knowledgable and THRIFTY bunch!

Cant say enough about Dave Hicks at Oella Saw and Tool. Always the best and best price for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    It's been years since I ordered any. You will probably get some current good names here. A lot of companies give you a quote based on the cheapest lousy steel,rather than lose the job to someone else doing that. To get something good ,without springing for premium , insist on REAL M2 not something with "same hardness". Some will leave off "side clearance grinding " unless you insist on it . For best match, give them the cut degree angle of your head. They get asked for a lot of quotes ,best to use email so that you have a record of specs.

What is "side clearance grind?"

Side clearance is tilting the grinder to left and right after the profile is complete. It's especially needed on a half circle profile to prevent burning at the sides. Without that you will have to keep stopping the run and honing by hand.

Mel what about outside grinding as well? some of the grinders or I ask for it get them to measure exactly and cut to the outside edge of the knife so the distance from the profile to it are exact? they usually only grind back a small amount say 5/8 inch or so I think when I set up I always do it the same scraping part of the cutting profile on a piece of wood and just listen and feel to the friction to get the knives the same.

Do you ever check your knives for weight after ground and if so what weight do you want to see the more perfect the better. I cant remember measures think one service goes to a tenth of a gram think others dont balance. ILl weigh a few of them.

Warren, that brings another feature of the better steels. With the common "fake M2 " one finished knife can be a whole 1/8 longer than the other at same weight. With real M2 and T1 two knives from same bar and ground square at exactly the same length are the same weight. We always checked them on a scale, but any one doing a shop start up is better off having good steel than spend money on a scale.

thanks Mel

I often wonder if there is a way to test what you have. I have accumulated a lot my own stuff and auction stuff once taking bar stock in the moulding company that was doing me a favour said this is very good steel. ive been able to take other peoples knives and grind and change them thats been a help many time I still wonder about the weight thing though.

I think that beyond "fake M2" the cut surface is good with all the steels I've used. The bad stuff starts to leave a lot of striations very quickly.

Thanks for all the responses and info! Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Got a bit busy. I'll look into the companies that were mentioned.