Thread: Alumina Zirconia Sanding Belts

Alumina Zirconia Sanding Belts

I am not a metal worker so excuse my ignorance. I have a question about about Alumina Zirconia sanding belts. I am sanding cast iron strips 2"x14" and am using 40 60 and 80 grits. It seems that the belts lose their cutting ability fairly quickly, say in about 10-15 min of use. The belts seem to dull and cutting slows significantly. I have tried reversing the direction with seeming improvement. I have read that this type of abrasive is very hard and does not fracture easily causing it to dull. I am using a 6x46 stationary belt sander and applying as much pressure as I can without overloading the motor. How long should I expect the paper to stay relatively sharp and is there a way to renew the grit (create new fractured edges) as one can do with a grinding wheel and a silicon carbide stick? Thanks for your help.

All I can suggest is try doing more with the finer grits and less with the coarse grits, since the fine stay sharp longer. But the difference won't be much, and might add too much time. I would try some kind of grinder for the coarsest work.

Thanks Mel