Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: VFD Questions

One thing I consider a huge advantage with Tersa is that the knives change so quickly. I change them out before they are totally trashed and keep them around and pop back in when I have questionable rough stock, like dirty, footprints, etc. First pass with the old knives and then put the new one back in.

If you would like a set for this right off of the get go PM me an address and I will send you a set. Mine are 520's so you may have to cut, but that is not a big deal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Larry, much appreciated!

I totally agree, I have spoken to a few other people who very much prefer tersa over spiral heads.

Best Regards
    brian
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have been buying from these guys for a few years. Service is good but allow about three extra days as they are in Canada. Prices are fair. Watch out for fake clones sold as genuine, even in original looking packaging. The clones I tried suck.

https://tersaknives.com/

I would copy this as the mods may delete link, not sure what the rules are exactly.

Will get a set off to you in the next few days. I have cut with a die grinder and a cutoff wheel.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Larry! Very much appreciated!

I will buy from them, I did some hunting around and they seem to have the best pricing on the genuine article.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/German-M42-...UAAOSwb-tZw4rH

This is a fake. As you can see they make it sound like the real deal.

This tool will fit all of the allen heads that you need to access for normal service. I have a SCM saw, jointer and planer and it works on all of them. Super handy, but you may want to wait until the tool is in your possession to check. I was putting new knives in my jointer and it reminded me.

https://www.parktool.com/product/3-w...atible%20Tools

I think that is all I have for you..........

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all your help, Larry! I will put it to good use.

RPC arrived today, so I’ll be setting that up shortly.

Brian, I'm looking forward to a full report on the J/P. Sounds like a great machine.

To get back to the VFD/RPC discussion for a minute, I have six machines I'm running off VFDs, all five horse or under. Most of my VFDs are TECOs purchased from Factorymation. Their tech support staff were very helpful in my selecting my biggest VFD, a 7.5 HP model used on my thickness planer which has a 5 HP motor. Given the number of machines I'm running it might make sense to have an RPC or Phase Perfect, but what I like about using VFDs is that I didn't have to run a second, three phase distribution system and breaker panel, and that the VFD eliminates the need for a magnetic starter. Given that all of my 3 phase machines are vintage old iron, and some came without starters, and the others were pretty sketchy, this is a pretty big deal.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave! Looking forward to it as well, I’ll certainly post up my experience once I have some hours on it.

Thsnks also got your comments on the VFD. I’m running the RPC for one machine do far so I was able to have it setup with one internal breaker. Interesting thougt, I never really thought about the starter. I use a VFD in my Father’s shop, he has one on his Bridgeport Mill but he had it setup by an electrician friend so he didn’t have much to say about the particulars of it.

Blog Entries
    The RPC is super quiet, I honestly forget it’s running if the machine is on.

Here is a shot of the new J/P