Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow - 11 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I just want to know who 007 is?
    That would be Pete Lamberty. I was the 26th to walk from Badger Pond to Keith’s open door.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Rich, ya made me look. Coming up on 10 years later this month - heck, we were all young men “way back then”. . . . .

even 'way back' I was not young

I'm not much more than a toddler compared to you old heads. Congrats on your long tenure. I get a lot from all the knowledge here. Once in a while I even have a good idea to contribute. Keep things going Keith! Your doing a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm not much more than a toddler compared to you old heads. Congrats on your long tenure. I get a lot from all the knowledge here. Once in a while I even have a good idea to contribute. Keep things going Keith! Your doing a great job.
    +1 from another toddler.

Congratulations Rich and all of you long-time members!
    I too enjoyed Badger Pond. It was a great place.
    I stumbled onto SMC years later after a google search and put down roots!

Fred

Keith,

What is the new software you eluded to?

Roger

Roger,

We have purchased Xenforo and have a test site installed so we can get acquainted with how everything works.

Keith,

What is the reason for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am so familiar with vBulletin on Sawmill Creek and other forums and it works really well from a user perspective.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Davis View Post
    Keith,

What is the reason for the change from vBulletin to Xenforo? I am so familiar with vBulletin on Sawmill Creek and other forums and it works really well from a user perspective.

Roger
    The vBulletin version SMC has is "broken", and the "upgrade" isn't much better and also cannot do many things natively like Xenforo can. Xenforo was written by a bunch of folks who left the vBulletin team a few years ago when they got tired of all the problems. It's more stable, more extensible and pretty much works the same way from the end-user standpoint. No worries. I've already been through this conversion at another site I help moderate (different topic) and it went smoothly. And folks had pretty much instant, native support for the kinds of devices that they use today to interact, unlike with vBulletin.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim's right, we are running vBulletin version 4 which they have stopped offering support and security upgrades. We purchased version 5 and installed it as a test site and it had so many problems/bugs we wouldn't dare use it for The Creek. The current version 4.2.5 we are now running required our server adminstrator to correct a multitude of problems when he installed the upgrade.

Xenforo provides native support for mobile users which is a major improvement and since over 40% of our Members are connecting using mobile devices its important that we improve access for mobile users. There is a pretty long list of other improvements but the bottom line is that we can't move forward at this point with vBulletin.