Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building Grandsons Christmas Present

Building Grandsons Christmas Present

I took a little time off from building my new bench to get my grandsons Christmas present built. I do not have to far to go. I need to fasten the top on and put some holes in it. I also can't forget the bottom shelf. I have two short bench dogs, one I used in my tail vise, the other work out perfectly on his. It was kind of interesting flattening 2x12s but much easier planning than the hickory my top is made of.

My grandson is always building something and he is left handed so I made the bench both a right and left handed. Anyway pictures.

DSC03279.JPG DSC03280.JPG DSC03281.JPG DSC03282.JPG DSC03284.JPG
    Tom

Hi Tom,

Very cool for the grandson! How old is he?

At any rate, he looks like he is going to have a very nice and functional bench.

Question: Are the 45 degree 2Xs that extend proud of the front of the frame just supports for the top that extends proud of the face apron? Also, are you going to put a vise on it? Finally, how are you going to design the vise so it is both OK for lefties and righties?

Good job so far!

Regards,

Stew

PS: (Added after reading Mel's post.) +1 on what Mel said on signing and dating it. Sign it on the inside where it will never be planed off. You never know, your great grandson may end up using that bench, and knowing that his great grandfather built the bench for his dad will make it far more valuable too him. You can't beat family history.
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 11-16-2017 at 12:44 AM.

He will love that and use it over a long life. Be sure to sign and date it, you don't want that hand planing to prematurely
    let it get retired to some museum!

Very nice Tom. I like the design of your crochets. Keeps them in place and out of the way until needed. Your Grandson will be very happy.
    Jim

He is 12,

Here is a link on how to use the bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvhn-PAfEW4
    Tom

That's an awesome gift !!!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

@Tom Bussey not a typical gift but it is WONDERFUL

Pictures of the finished bench.

DSC03285.JPG DSC03286.JPG DSC03290.JPG
    Tom

Nice! I was thinking about building my son one of these.

Great job Tom. Is grandson going to get to work in the same shop under Grandpa's watchful eye and tutoring? That would be wonderful.
    Jim

Really a nice gift Tom! He will love it!

Way cool!!

Nice effort of love for a grandson....
    Jerry

Tom,

Beautifully done bench! Even more impressive to me is what appears to be a very functional bench even without a vise! The video you link makes it pretty clear how you use the bench.

Is the rail down the middle to help hold stock for planing?

Basically, I LIKE the bench. Wonderful gift for a grandson. When he gets older and realizes how much work went into that bench for him he will appreciate it even more.

Stew

The use of the rail down the middle is shown in the video.

I am not, what one would say, good on a computer and I am sure someone can come up with a direct link. But until that happens, here is how to get to the free plans. Note, I did however alter the build based on viewing the video.

Google Nicholson workbench plans.
    Select free Nicholson knockdown plans.
    There is a link KD Nicholson Bench and so on , click on it.
    Tom