Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Issues

The fix is pretty simple (in the following order):

1) Talk to the gentleman you chatted with this morning and request a NEW plane (one that is checked trouble-free in the factory) to be mailed to you. Not another part or lever cap.

2) Tell the gentleman they can arrange to have the plane in your possession picked up by a courier.

The new plane should arrive BEFORE the pick-up of the return. If a new plane is not available for any reason, get a refund and then the LV or used plane route would be the next step.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    What would Rob Lee say, except maybe you should have bought a LV and not a Lie Nielsen?

Rob Lee would say nothing of the sort as he's too classy for that.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-16-2017 at 8:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post

Rob Lee would say nothing of the sort as he's too classy for that.
    I have given Lee Valley a lot of money in exchange for some great tools. Even though when I ordered the full small plow plane kit a year ago they shipped everything but didn't put the plow plane in the box (even though it was on the packing slip)
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-16-2017 at 8:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    The fix is pretty simple (in the following order):

1) Talk to the gentleman you chatted with this morning and request a NEW plane (one that is checked trouble-free in the factory) to be mailed to you. Not another part or lever cap.

2) Tell the gentleman they can arrange to have the plane in your possession picked up by a courier.

The new plane should arrive BEFORE the pick-up of the return. If a new plane is not available for any reason, get a refund and then the LV or used plane route would be the next step.

Simon
    I think I'll ask to have something overnighted or delivered by Saturday. I don't think that's asking too much. Still waiting for a call back.

Blog Entries
    Many things can happen in the realm of manufacturing. It is possible there was a whole batch of bad lever caps and this is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

It may have started with a new employee in assembly without much knowledge of how things are supposed to work. Then when a replacement was requested for one with a bent lever, an employee went to the parts bin and pulled defective stock without noticing the cam was wrong.

If this is the case there may be a small panic going on at LN presently. They may have to unpack every #8 plane to check the lever cap and they are finding a whole production run came through faulty. That would explain the delayed response.

From experience at my former employment involving assembly and parts management, it isn't common for many employees to notice much around the work environment other than the clock. Many won't even question a part that looks different from what they have used in the past. They will just put it on an assembly and move it to the next stage.

Hopefully this will all work out for the best.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Harrison View Post
    I have given Lee Valley a lot of money in exchange for some great tools. Even though when I ordered the full small plow plane kit a year ago they shipped everything but didn't put the plow plane in the box (even though it was on the packing slip)
    I once received a courier package that was the size of a HUGE box for an item that was about one fourth the size of the box. This chain outlet offered the best possible shipping protection no one could match, I mean, no one.

As it turned out, they shipped four, not one, of the item I paid for. The box outside however clearly indicated a quantity of 4. People make job mistakes all the time.Trying to tell the shipper (1800#!) that it screwed up turned out to be more time-consuming than I expected.

Your small plow experience unfortunately was an example of the daily mistakes that are made everywhere.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 11-16-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Man Steven, you have some bad luck. Are there any actuaries on here that can figure out the odds of going a month without getting an issue resolved with Lie Nielsen, being shipping 3 bad parts (in a row) from LN, and being shorted a Plow Plane in a Lee Valley order?

I am sure there are many many on here who are nothing but happy with LN and Lee Valley, myself included.

Good luck on on getting this all figured out. There are only like 4 or so customer service people at LN, they are across the hall from shipping, and across the parking lot from manufacturing. Maybe send them Patrick’s thoughts on it and they can all get together and fix it. He’s probably right, usually is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Many things can happen in the realm of manufacturing. It is possible there was a whole batch of bad lever caps and this is just the tip of the iceberg so to speak.

It may have started with a new employee in assembly without much knowledge of how things are supposed to work. Then when a replacement was requested for one with a bent lever, an employee went to the parts bin and pulled defective stock without noticing the cam was wrong.

If this is the case there may be a small panic going on at LN presently. They may have to unpack every #8 plane to check the lever cap and they are finding a whole production run came through faulty. That would explain the delayed response.

From experience at my former employment involving assembly and parts management, it isn't common for many employees to notice much around the work environment other than the clock. Many won't even question a part that looks different from what they have used in the past. They will just put it on an assembly and move it to the next stage.

jtk
    Jim I think you're right. LN just called me. Apparently they printed off the pictures and are now in the hands of Tom Lie-Nielsen. She made it sound like they are all in the shop inspecting the caps and she will call again later to update me further.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Man Steven, you have some bad luck. Are there any actuaries on here that can figure out the odds of going a month without getting an issue resolved with Lie Nielsen, being shipping 3 bad parts (in a row) from LN, and being shorted a Plow Plane in a Lee Valley order?

I am sure there are many many on here who are nothing but happy with LN and Lee Valley, myself included.

Good luck on on getting this all figured out. There are only like 4 or so customer service people at LN, they are across the hall from shipping, and across the parking lot from manufacturing. Maybe send them Patrick’s thoughts on it and they can all get together and fix it. He’s probably right, usually is.

Don't get me started on my luck. My wife likes to make fun of me about it. I just received a DMT extra extra fine stone that had scratches across the diamond bed that were deep enough to catch an edge on a blade. Had to send that back. I had a LV router plane straight blade that wasn't machined right so it wasn't parallel to the sole of the router plane. I received the wrong blade the first time in the replacement process for that. Never ending fun....

jointer.jpg
    Guess I'd better get back to a rehab, then. Stanley No.8 ,type 7.....
    IMG_0556 (640x447).jpgIMG_0557 (640x480).jpg
    With two No. 7s in the shop...not sure IF I really need a CVN 8.....

it isn't common for many employees to notice much around the work environment other than the clock. Many won't even question a part that looks different from what they have used in the past. They will just put it on an assembly and move it to the next stage.

jtk
    Your observation about people not paying attention in their jobs is what causes grief and money for everybody. These same people are BORED and money is the only reason why they stick around in a job they don't enjoy or even hate.

Having said that, I have enjoyed the enthusiastic and cheerful services of many front-line people, and every time I see a good job done, I thank them (by name) and tip them well where applicable. I am also specific when I thank them, e.g. for their bright smiles, or for their patience, etc. If at all possible, I thank them in front of their colleagues or supervisors. Good workers deserve our motivation; bad ones are the problem of the owners.

Simon

People have a job to do. There is someone or more than one someone who are responsible for the particular aspect(s) of the tool in question in this thread. At a small company like LN, that someone / someone(s) are easily identifiable and I'm sure corrective action will be taken. The biggest quality task that everyone in manufacturing has is to recognize and report when something is different than normal. Then its up to the management to investigate and take corrective / preventative action. It does not matter if this is a fast food franchise, a tool manufacturer, or NASA, the same process must be used otherwise what you have is chaos.

Blog Entries
    Don't get me started on my luck. My wife likes to make fun of me about it.
    To me it would be an interesting study about people's lot in life. There are a few peculiarities that stay with me. Mostly for the good and the strange one has had its moments of interest. For one my luck at finding things borders on the phenomenal. Often if something catches my fancy, my usual tack is to wait as one will likely come my way soon. In one place of employment the production manager always came to me when something was misplaced. It usually didn't take me long to find something misplaced. In many things my luck is good, except for Lotto tickets, but that story isn't yet over.

Another one was explained to me by one of my supervisors one time. As a fare equipment technician we were in a busy San Francisco station. While he was watching me work on machines people kept coming up and asking the strangest questions. Most of my responses were satisfactory and as they left another would come up and repeat the scenario. My supervisor looked at me in bewilderment and said, "you are a freak magnet." It then dawned on me. There do seem to be an inordinate amount of strange people crossing my path.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    I have enjoyed the enthusiastic and cheerful services of many front-line people, and every time I see a good job done, I thank them (by name) and tip them well where applicable.
    Often I will say, "Go tell the boss I thought you were so good at your job you should get the rest of the day off with pay." That usually gets a chuckle and a thanks.

jtk

Blog Entries
    With two No. 7s in the shop...not sure IF I really need a CVN 8.....
    When this happened to me, one of my #7s was sold. Now there are two #8s in the shop though one is sitting disassembled waiting for me to get in the mood to fettle.

jtk