Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Issues

I bought a no 7 a while back from Craftsman Studio and when received it had a big obvious ding in the side of the plane. Could not miss it. I contacted Craftsman Studio who were little help and had to get a new plane from LN. I would never buy from Craftsman Studio again even with their free shipping offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Simon; this issue will get fixed to the customers satisfaction shortly. LN do offer a lifetime guarantee on their tools. What wont change are the comments that were made within this thread that will appear again and again and again when someone searches feedback on LNs reputation. Could this issue have been handled better by the OP. imo yes. And it would not include venting his frustration on an open forum.

Stewie;
    First, I'd like to say that the OP's post was polite. It wasn't (IMO) our usual "use the internet as a weapon" post. At the same time, I have to politely agree with Stewie that LN was already trying to help him. While the fact they havent got it right in 3 attempts is very frustrating, they WILL take care of this. We all know that. So, IMO, the original post was a bit premature. I'd bet the value of that plane that LN will make this right or cheerfully refund the OP's money. I trust those guys just as much as I do LV.

And Pete, that's not a knock against any point that you or others have made Sir. I always value your comments here.

Best regards,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-17-2017 at 7:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    First, I'd like to say that the OP's post was polite. It wasn't (IMO) our usual "use the internet as a weapon" post. At the same time, I have to politely agree with Stewie that LN was already trying to help him. While the fact they havent got it right in 3 attempts is very frustrating, they WILL take care of this. We all know that. So, IMO, the original post was a bit premature. I'd bet the value of that plane that LN will make this right or cheerfully refund the OP's money. I trust those guys just as much as I do LV.
    I like LN, have a bunch of stuff, and root for them to succeed, but I think that in this instance they blew it badly (as Rob says it happens to everybody) and that the OP's post was therefore very reasonable. He'd gone through three bad cap irons, two of them with exactly the same problem, that rendered a $475 plane unusable for weeks. LN then didn't follow up within the promised timeframe to get him a fourth, good cap iron. While I realize that it's extremely unpleasant and embarrassing to have to admit to your customer that you don't have a single good part in inventory (I've been there), it's generally better to do that than to not communicate adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    And Pete, that's not a knock against any point that you or others have made Sir. I always value your comments here.
    I thought the "apathy" poster was a little over the top to be honest, but Pete has certainly earned the right to be a bit pointed about this sort of stuff. He's not some random keyboard jockey who's never designed or sold a product in his life...
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 11-17-2017 at 9:12 PM.

They surprised me and where able to overnight the cap whichIMG_20171118_123834.jpg just arrived along with a few goodies. The plane performs beautifully. Great start to the weekend!

Happy Days. Glad it worked out for you and in the end, as the customer, how you feel about the experience is all that matters. Happy Jointing.

Man, glad to hear. It’s maddening when you can’t get something to work, not knowing if it’s operator error or not.

I guess it was just a bad manufactured batch like Patrick said?

Blog Entries
    +1 on what Pete said.

Those little rulers are great. If you set it in a mortise, you can flex the rule and the slider will drop, makes a handy depth gauge.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Taran View Post
    Happy Days. Glad it worked out for you and in the end, as the customer, how you feel about the experience is all that matters. Happy Jointing.
    I'm very happy, just took a little getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jebediah Eckert View Post
    Man, glad to hear. It’s maddening when you can’t get something to work, not knowing if it’s operator error or not.

I guess it was just a bad manufactured batch like Patrick said?
    I'm guessing a bad batch but I never got any confirmation. Yeah the second guessing everything was driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    +1 on what Pete said.

Those little rulers are great. If you set it in a mortise, you can flex the rule and the slider will drop, makes a handy depth gauge.

jtk
    I'm pretty excited that they included it and everything else.

Here's the important question: did you get the capiron reground, cleaned up, fitted, and polished?

But seriously - good on you for sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Stock View Post
    Here's the important question: did you get the capiron reground, cleaned up, fitted, and polished?

But seriously - good on you for sticking with it.
    It was worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Harrison View Post
    It was worth it
    Glad it worked out for you! You cannot go wrong with LN or LV.
    Fred

Just the hat alone is worth all the hassle!

Well, OK, maybe not. But a happy ending.

I think everyone who followed this thread for the last 5 days should get a hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Just the hat alone is worth all the hassle!

Well, OK, maybe not. But a happy ending.

I think everyone who followed this thread for the last 5 days should get a hat.
    If I could get everyone a hat I would. But if you let me order it, it might arrive with a typo

Howdy
    I too have been thinking about the #8, but do not want to pull the trigger on a new plane if the problems that you have been having is not resolved. It has been almost a month since you have made your lastpost. How goes it with your problem? Thanks

I believe in Post #15 he says that he received a replacement part a little quicker than the last promised date proposed by LN and all was well. I did not continue to follow the thread past that point to see if Steven made any more comments regarding his LN experience. I hope he is getting good service out of that tool now, as I would for anyone that ordered a new tool (of any brand) with high expectations/anticipation in using a new tool.
    David