Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collector bin size?

Dust collector bin size?

Hi, what size bin should I order with new dust collector?
    35 or 55 gallons?
    I like to order Oneida 5hp Dust Gorilla Pro.
    Thanks
    Jaromir

Jaromir,

First question, do you have the height to use the 55? What do you use now (if anything) and how much dust do you create? If you filled a 55 gallon drum could you move it and empty the bin. If you only filled the 55 2/3 full it would still be more than the 35. If you have the height, you will have more flexibility with the 55. I just purchased a used cyclone that came with a 55 and sold the bin because I did not have the height.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir Svoboda View Post
    Hi, what size bin should I order with new dust collector? 35 or 55 gallons
    Planng certain (most) woods creates volumes of shavings fast. If planing or jointing, I would go with the largest container available that can be made airtight.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I have 10' tall ceiling. I had Grizzly 2hp cyclone with 35 gallons bin and planer will fill it fast.
    I'll go with 55 gallons.
    Jaromir

If you have a 55 gallon drum full of sawdust, how do you empty it? Can you pick it up?
    I have a dust bin which holds about 35 gallons under my cyclone. I can pick it up to empty it, but I don't think I could do that with a 55 gallon bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    If you have a 55 gallon drum full of sawdust, how do you empty it? Can you pick it up?
    I have a dust bin which holds about 35 gallons under my cyclone. I can pick it up to empty it, but I don't think I could do that with a 55 gallon bin.
    Excellent point. My containers are about 5.8 cubic feet (20 in diameter and 32 inches deep) which calculates out to 43-1/2 gallons. Sometimes I roll with a hand cart, but I can lift and carry full. But I also wouldn't want it to be much heavier.

I would point out that if you are on the suction side (bottom of a cyclone) it is important that they be air-tight. I keep a spare empty so that I won't be tempted to overfill.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

If you have the headroom...55 gallon for sure. And you'll still fill that up pretty quickly while milling lumber at the jointer and planer! If you don't have the height for the 55 gallon, perhaps a dual 35 gallon will work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Go as big as your limitations will allow, then justify what you can in space and dollars.

Man, cant imagine trying to lift and empty a full 55 gallon steel drum.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have a 35 gallon drum that I can barely lift when full of sawdust, planer shavings are no problem however 35 gallons of dust from particle board is heavy.........Rod.

Mine is 12 cu. Yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Man, cant imagine trying to lift and empty a full 55 gallon steel drum.
    Most folks use fiber or plastic drums, not steel. My 55 gallon fiber drum isn't "lightweight" when it's full, but it's not all that heavy, either. And I only need to actually lift it down one step from the shop and then just a few inches onto the bucket of my tractor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Mine is 12 cu. Yards.
    Dust collector bin envy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post
    Dust collector bin envy ...
    I'm curious why so small. We make a relatively small amount of sawdust, we'd fill that in a busy month. If we were pounding stuff through a moulder hard, I don't think that'd make it to the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I'm curious why so small.
    Twelve cubic yards is about all I produce in a year!