Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust collector bin size?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, that's correct, it's not an all the time thing...I milled about 100 board feet of VG Doug Fir this week which made for the increase in "bin filling". Even though I hope to be doing a lot more work in my shop going forward, there still remains the fact that in a one-person shop, the major chip and dust producing is cyclic toward the beginning of projects when material is prepped.
    Jim — A little off topic, but where did you source the VG Douglas Fir? I’ve been looking for a good source.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jim — A little off topic, but where did you source the VG Douglas Fir? I’ve been looking for a good source.
    A local, family owned lumber yard has a "specialty" woods division. They were able to order it for me...and in both cases, it came in the next day from their supplier. $7.75 Bd Ft for 8/4, 6" wide. It came in 16' lengths which we cut in half (second load was cut slightly differently to match a component need) so I could fit on my trailer safely. Wherungs Specialty Woods was my local source.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Am I the only one who has never lifted his 55 gallon drum even once because he uses heavy duty plastic bag liners? All I do is tie and lift out the full bag when I empty the thing. The full bag is still pretty heavy, but not nearly as heavy as the steel drum. Oh and get the bag hold down from Oneida which will prevent the bag from getting sucked up into the cyclone.

I can't imagine picking up the entire drum and dumping loose sawdust. A cloud of it must fly all over the place.
    I haven't lifted mine once. I always use the 55 gal heavy duty plastic bags for my 35 gal fiber drum model. For my new workshop I'm thinking of switching to 55 gal drum. Oneida now sells a dolly that fits under their fiber drums, plus extender legs for the stand. Of course if you are wall mounting, just mount higher as required. I really like the dolly idea.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 12-04-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I can't imagine picking up the entire drum and dumping loose sawdust. A cloud of it must fly all over the place.
    I use a 30 gal metal can so I can lift it easily. I carry it outside and dolly or tractor or little UTV truck it into the woods to dump it. It does make a cloud of dust but I stand up wind.

I like to see the huge amount of very talcum-fine dust in the bin. I still can't believe how efficient the thing is.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-04-2017 at 6:28 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post

Thanks.
    How much and what size are you looking for? I have some beautiful old growth VG clear DF bleacher seats (15', 20' lengths), 1-1/8" x 9". 10% MC. Only con are two bolt holes about every 4'. If you can work around that, you won't find nicer fir. Located Madison, WI.