Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a quiet jobsite miter saw?

Is there a quiet jobsite miter saw?

I would like a quiet miter saw for trim work in houses. Some base would be a tall as 7" and at times I do crown. Ideally quiet and light. Hits a couple of those but at a huge price and sketchy quality it seems.

These are pretty quite.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    These are pretty quite.
    It is cordless, too!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    These are pretty quite.
    Yeah, that was my idea. If you cant find an old/original one, buy a new Nobex. This link is to the small size, but they make larger ones that might suit your needs.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 11-16-2017 at 6:56 AM.

I was thinking the same thing also a guillotine style cutter

As you can tell from the above replies it is not the nature of an powered miter saw to be quiet.
    Light weight - there are options - but quiet - ZILCH.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Yep, a Nobex and a Lion trimmer- keep the powered box in the truck just in case.

Way less dust also.

Not sure if this is what you were referencing at the end of your post, but the Kapex is fairly quiet for a mitersaw. It has a much more pleasant low-pitched growl compared to the usual mitersaw scream, but I still wouldn't call it "quiet." FWIW I remember informally measuring mine under no load with an iPhone sound level meter and it was 84db @ 3ft. Light/portable too. Of course as you know there may be a reliability issue with these...

The Kapex is also loud, just as loud as my old craftsman miter saw i had before i bought my kapex. I guess it quieter on the low speed settings but who uses that? I always have mine on the highest speed setting so its a loud saw just like the rest of them. It is however lighter than most comparable miter saws and easier to carry because its compact.

You'll need to make a shooting board too. I installed a bunch of baseboard with a mitre box, a shooting board and a block plane. It's actually stupid fast once you get the hang of it.

Note that the dust collection from a mitre box sucks, but then so does dust collection from power mitre saws.

I've owned a couple of the Hitachi SCMS, liked them and feel they were quieter than most. I also feel they were considerably lighter which is a real asset as you age a bit. Most of the newer ones, I wouldn't bother with them as the weight is just more than I want to deal with on a daily basis. The older Hityachi 8.5 SCMS was IMO a sweet tool with light weight and reasonably quiet to boot.

That said, If I was only occasionally needing one, I would heed the advice of those who mentioned it and purchase the cordless Nobex. Nice tool, lot of control and as quiet as they come.
    Mac

IME Any of the cordless units are much quieter. Now that they have bigger and better batteries (li-ion) they work pretty decently too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    Do you have customers wanting construction done in their home and want it quiet? Or are you just wanting a quiet workplace? Working in an active busibessplace?

I'd agree with the manual miter box and may even be more accurate. Shooting board would be great for tweaks. I'd think you'd surely have to raise rates and chase uber high end.

If you have a lot of customers with, lets say, peculiar issues and issues in regards to noise I'd personally be very tentative and cautious as they can some of the most difficult to deal with.
    No just me working. I just don't like the noise high speed universal motors make. Apparently Kapex is the only "Power" one that makes a more pleasing sound. I have a backorder on Amazon for a Dewalt 779.

Quote Originally Posted by Ric Flanders View Post
    IME Any of the cordless units are much quieter. Now that they have bigger and better batteries (li-ion) they work pretty decently too.
    I just got a Makita cordless trim router and I'm gobsmacked over how quiet it is! As much as I love my P-C 310 it's headed for Craigslist. If the cordless miter saws are as quiet there'll be a Kapex for sale soon.

I'm with the OP, I just don't like noisy tools. And the older I get the less I like them.

These are pretty quiet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.