Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hydroplaning Accident - Buying a Safer Car

Andrew Consumer Reports has some interesting comments on the current Impreza that might be worth a look.

This from the tire shop we use:
    "Regardless of TPMS, we recommend tire pressure checks every 30 days. Properly maintained tire pressure decreases tire wear and improves vehicle safety, handling, braking and fuel mileage. Come in anytime for a free air check."
    It's probably for their
    liability, but it sounds like you can't trust TPMS. I have a tire gauge I trust so I'll use more often now.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Andrew, the shop's advise is good for sure. TPMS isn't a "be all, end all" thing and doesn't replace routine monitoring with a quality pressure tester. TPMS may not always be exact, but it's a nice feature to have, both for its warning ability and for the simple push of a button or three to check more frequently without getting too dirty or cold.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I was initially skeptical of TPMS and the early systems were vague. The latest ones seem to be excellent. My 2017 Honda Ridgeline not only shows me the pressure in each tire, it is accurate to 1lb plus or minus, which is about as accurate as the good gauges used in the car shop I also own. It completely removes the need to check it with a gauge. This surprised me based upon my experiences with TPMS systems even 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    I was initially skeptical of TPMS and the early systems were vague. The latest ones seem to be excellent. My 2017 Honda Ridgeline not only shows me the pressure in each tire, it is accurate to 1lb plus or minus, which is about as accurate as the good gauges used in the car shop I also own. It completely removes the need to check it with a gauge. This surprised me based upon my experiences with TPMS systems even 5 years ago.
    This has been my experience with my last two GM vehicles also.
    I could use TPMS to monitor the pressure and then fill as necessary. Even more handy when the sensors were reading the right wheels, but not a huge issue if I had to verify with the gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    One comment on Subaru...
    I recently leased a 2018 Outback. I really like just about everything about this car, but the seat is a problem. On a 10 minute test drive the issue didn't come up, but what I've now discovered is at about the 30 minute mark of sitting in the car my neck stiffens up and my left hip starts going numb. I think it's mostly due to the depth of the seat pad...its shorter than my previous vehicles and provides less support to the back of my legs.
    Googling after the fact turned up quite a few complaints on Subaru seats, so all I'd say is make sure you do an extended test drive in the Impreza or Forester and make sure it's not an issue. I'm well aware this could just be my issue, but I thought it was worth noting.
    Did you still have your wallet in your back pocket? I used to really suffer on long trips in small-medium-sized vehicles until I learned to remove my wallet. Problem solved. Also, if the seat allows, raise the front edge to meet the back of your thighs to take some of the pressure off your buttocks.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    HMMMMMM> Underinflation leads to hyrdroplaning, and yet to get more traction on sand or in snow, leave some air out of the tires. Seems contradictory. Of course some cars hydroplane easier than others. And in some situations, vehicles will simply hydroplane despite the best precautions. Glad your Mrs. is fine. My 74 Ford truck was prone to hydroplaning with the all season tires. When I switched to mud and snow tires, all that stopped, except when I intentionally wanted to slide.
    Heavy vehicles with narrow tires don't hydroplane easily. I've also found that underinflated tires don't do well on snow--makes them wider and they don't cut through the snow then. For sand, yes, tires must be deflated so they don't sink and then can't climb out of their own hole.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    HMMMMMM> Underinflation leads to hyrdroplaning, and yet to get more traction on sand or in snow, leave some air out of the tires. Seems contradictory. Of course some cars hydroplane easier than others. And in some situations, vehicles will simply hydroplane despite the best precautions. Glad your Mrs. is fine. My 74 Ford truck was prone to hydroplaning with the all season tires. When I switched to mud and snow tires, all that stopped, except when I intentionally wanted to slide.
    Gotta be a little careful about underinflating though. I believe underinflation is thought to have been a contributing factor if not the primary factor in Ford Explorer rollovers, softer tires "rode better". Firestone was blamed at the time but after more research, perhaps the tires were not as responsible as first believed. At least that's what I've read.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 11-19-2017 at 8:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Did you still have your wallet in your back pocket? I used to really suffer on long trips in small-medium-sized vehicles until I learned to remove my wallet. Problem solved. Also, if the seat allows, raise the front edge to meet the back of your thighs to take some of the pressure off your buttocks.
    No, I stopped sitting on my wallet years ago. It's not good for you.
    There's no angle adjustment on this seat bottom.
    Good thoughts though.

Yea, there is less seat adjustability on the lower trim levels of most vehicles, including the Outback. I find the seats in Professor Dr. SWMBO's 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight to be "nearly" as comfortable as those in my Grand Cherokee Overland Summit. The biggest difference is I can get more seat height in the Jeep so as to be in a slightly more "chair like" position. Our 2011 Outback Limited that my daughter now drives isn't quite as comfortable in the seat department as the 2016. It's going to be interesting to see how the new Ascent (3 row mid-size SUV) feels in the seat department...it's being officially announced on the 28th at the LA show.

----

On the subject of under-inflation and hydroplaning, under-inflation tends to have the tires run on their edges with the center "bowing up" slightly and that allows more water to sit under the tread. With so little contact with the road, the risk for hydroplaning is increased.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...