Thread: reconstituted teak veneer vs 1/42"~ real teak

Blog Entries

reconstituted teak veneer vs 1/42"~ real teak

Any opinions on this? I did a search on sawmill before asking and i read the 1/4 sawn stuff looks the same. The teak i am getting is 1/4 sawn.
    I was sent a couple quotes for the real stuff and it was REALLY expensive (they lay it up and everything on 11/16 MDF)
    But they said the reconstituted is half as much.
    Last edited by mike waters; 11-16-2017 at 4:02 PM.

On interior stuff I see no problems with a product that is imitation. It's more real than painted faux grained stuff and much cheaper than that! You don't have to buy vacumn bag set up to glue up your stuff and save a lot of money on shipping .

Blog Entries
    great idea.. have the recon for inside of drawer face and real stuff on the exterior side.
    would save me a ton.

or are do you mean interior stuff = inside house stuff and not exterior?
    haha

I meant not in the weather. But I could be right on both!

Order a sample and you can see if you like it. They can do the layup with different finishes each side. The reconstituted is far cheaper and comes full length sheets up to 24" wide. Only you can decide if it is acceptable. Inside the box it would be fine to me, but that would also depend on the size of the project and how much of the interior I might see.

Here are some pictures https://www.certainlywood.com/result...ed%20quartered

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Shipton View Post
    Order a sample and you can see if you like it. They can do the layup with different finishes each side. The reconstituted is far cheaper and comes full length sheets up to 24" wide. Only you can decide if it is acceptable. Inside the box it would be fine to me, but that would also depend on the size of the project and how much of the interior I might see.

Here are some pictures https://www.certainlywood.com/result...ed%20quartered
    It looks so uniformed, i dunno... I think Georgia Hardwoods (not sure where they get there stuff from, i asked for a sample today from them) looks more natural.
    https://www.gahwd.com/p-2105-teak-qt...nstituted.aspx

"It looks so uniform". Many of us have paid high prices to get the perfect wood for a project , sometimes the perfect thing is knotty pine, sometimes only a flawless exotic will do. I suggest defining perfect only by your vision for the project. FWIW most of the real teak furniture I've seen in Costco or expensive speciality stores has been remarkably uniform.

Mike, the Certainly Wood sample is full size. It would not surprise me if the Georgia Hardwoods is about the same if the sample were larger. I am not sure you will be happy with the reconstituted wood option. The vast majority of the population wants uniform, and does not appreciate wood character like many of us. This is a so called "green" option, and uniform is what most designers want. How many sqft are we talking?

Here is a 1/16" thick Teak veneer. https://www.certainlywood.com/images...0TEAK%201601-1 That is dead easy to veneer with, but you are $13/sqft before you have bought glue or a substrate. 1/16" is still shipped in rolls.

There are lots of other good veneer suppliers. I like the Certainly wood website, and that is where I always get mine from. M. Bohlke has some spectacular veneer.

That RC wood looks like rotary sawn where the veneer is peeled off the log while the log is rotated. I have used it before. You will get the colour of teak but you will not be able to see or match the grain.

MK

That RC stuff looks like crap. Just get teak ply. That's what I use.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

If you sift through his posts I think he is building kitchen cabinets. He has not said what parts are to be teak, but I suspect the sheet count is getting up there.