Thread: 5’’ Sandpaper The best for Intarsia ? / No Holes..

5’’ Sandpaper The best for Intarsia ? / No Holes..

I am going to try to do some Intarsia and have ordered one of these: (TORQ R5 Rotary Backing Plate with Hyper Flex Technology, Red (5 Inch) to do the edge and shaping work and am wondering what is the best sandpaper to use on this type of plate? The backing plate is hook and loop but do to the angles I am putting on the wood / work pieces I am not sure of what kind lasts the longest and what kind of backer on the sandpaper is the best to use, as in reviewing they have a lot of different backing on the sandpapers (paper, cloth and so on).
    Also, since I am not sure of how much of this I am going to do I am wondering if any company’s do a variety pack. Like 5 -10 sheets of every grit. 60, 80, 100, 120.
    If I start to do more I would buy the larger packs of 40/50 sheets but since I am just checking it out I don’t want to order too much of the sandpaper as these would be a solid sheet with no holes for dust collection and would not work with my orbital sander that has dust collection.

Thanks

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=..._hwyCPbE9U55Ne
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard

I do a bit of that myself, and this is the sander I use most.

https://www.cpooutlets.com/3m-28353-...All%20Products

Mine is a SnapOn for about three times the money, but I swear this is the exact same one. I love it, not just for intarasia but any place that is small and you need control. You can easily regulate the speed with the trigger as you work, one of the best additions to my shop. Disks can be bought at body shop supply houses cheaper. The velcro ones conform nicely to odd shapes. Very light weight, quiet, does not use a lot of air and can be maneuvered easily.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 11-17-2017 at 6:31 PM.