Thread: Dewalt crosscut saw

Dewalt crosscut saw

I had a Dewalt hand saw from Home Depot before I got into "fine" woodworking. It cuts really nicely, makes really quick work of crosscuts. My only beef with it is that the blade bends to one side, making it difficult to keep the cut straight on longer cuts. Is there a way to straighten it, or is that just the penalty of a cheap saw?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    I had a Dewalt hand saw from Home Depot before I got into "fine" woodworking. It cuts really nicely, makes really quick work of crosscuts. My only beef with it is that the blade bends to one side, making it difficult to keep the cut straight on longer cuts. Is there a way to straighten it, or is that just the penalty of a cheap saw?
    Bob Smalser posted about straightening saws. To find his post you need to get into > Neanderthal wisdom/FAQs < section located in the Neanderthal Stickey threads:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...al-wisdom-FAQs

Scroll down to section 9 - Rehabbing Old Tools, there are a couple of posts there that may be of help.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've tried to straighten several older saws. It can be done, but I certainly don't have the skill to do it right. It's really hard to get it exactly right...

You probably can't sharpen that Dewalt saw anyway (induction hardened teeth) - so don't put the effort into trying to straighten it. Find an old Disston saw in good shape and learn to sharpen it yourself. Then you'll have a great saw that will last a lifetime!

That's my $0.02.