Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cermark Dishwasher Safe + Yeti Laser Settings

It does seem that powder coating could be the issue since some of them came out pretty decent and others didn't.

I'm thinking I have the hot-dog roller type of rotary attachment. See photo.

DSC00942[1].jpg
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

That looks like a nice four wheel design. Definitely not what most of us think of as a hot dog roller type. Hot dog roller usually refers to the cheaper rotary units that usually have three long knurled metal rotating tubes. So named because they kind of look like the hot dog roller often found near the cashier stand at the local 7-11 convenience store where hot dogs rotate/roast for hours and hours and hours under a heat lamp.

erase 10.JPG

erase 11.JPG

erase 9.JPG
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 11-30-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    It does seem that powder coating could be the issue since some of them came out pretty decent and others didn't.

I'm thinking I have the hot-dog roller type of rotary attachment. See photo.

DSC00942[1].jpg
    Yep, that’s a hot dog roller. If there isn’t a way to get positive control on the piece you are engraving then you can’t reliably engrave with multiple passes, this is especially true with tapered pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    That looks like a nice four wheel design. Definitely not what most of us think of as a hot dog roller type. Hot dog roller usually refers to the cheaper rotary units that usually have three long knurled metal rotating tubes. So named because they kind of look like the hot dog roller often found near the cashier stand at the local 7-11 convenience store where hot dogs rotate/roast for hours and hours and hours under a heat lamp.

erase 10.JPG

erase 11.JPG

erase 9.JPG
    It may be a nicer version but it’s still using the same mechanism to rotate the item - friction and gravity. In certain circumstances one may be more reliable than the other, but in the end they are still very inaccurate with regards to multiple passes.

Thank you for the explanation. At least now I know what I have. Are the powder coated polar camel tumblers any easier to engrave then Yeti's?
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55

Liesl

Gary is right. You need the cone version to do accurate repeat engravings. I am doing so many of the Yeti/yeti type cups now I can pay for the rotary cone device every week. I can't think of a single tool that has paid for itself so fast or so often.

Color on these cups is the wave of the future--that often means multiple passes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Liesl Dexheimer View Post
    Thank you for the explanation. At least now I know what I have. Are the powder coated polar camel tumblers any easier to engrave then Yeti's?
    Both Yeti and Rtic behave the same for me but never having engraved anything else I can't say for sure how they would work out, but I'm guessing they will be similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    ...Gary is right. You need the cone version to do accurate repeat engravings....
    What is a "cone version"? I use a Chuck rotary for repeat accuracy.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Tim
    The cone is an option with Trotec. I wish I had a chuck but for the cups and most other cylindrical work, the cone tool is dead accurate.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Tim, this is the cone version. The cones are supposed to make swapping pieces as well as centering them faster and a bit less fiddly while also providing good grip.

erase 12.JPG

Wieke makes the following set of optional cones to install on their chuck rotaries. You could make your own to fit your current chuck rotary.

Cones.JPG

The good four wheel design with its rubber covered wheels are a bit more accurate due to less slip compared to the hot dog roller with its bare metal wheels. The four wheel rotary usually has a built in height adjustment function that is nice too. Liesl, for items with decent sized openings, especially lightweight items, have you tried inserting weight of some type (e.g. small sandbags)? That can help reduce slippage/inaccuracy.
    Last edited by Doug Fisher; 12-01-2017 at 11:34 AM.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

No, I haven't tried some sort of weight although the thought did cross my mind once. I will have to try and experiment some time with small sandbags or some other sort of weight.
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55