Thread: A hacksaw?

A hacksaw?

Had one of these sitting around. gave the frame a decent clean up. Tried a wider blade,,
    IMG_2474 (640x480).jpg
    As this 12" blade was a bit too short to make a frame saw with.....
    IMG_2475 (640x480).jpg
    11 ppi, crosscut.....needs sharpened, anyway. Dug around, and found another blade..
    IMG_2476 (640x480).jpg
    I have no idea who made the frame...both ends are adjustable...the blade?
    IMG_2477 (640x480).jpg
    At least it can cut some brass or copper items....
    Have another such hacksaw....but it is a single adjuster frame. I'll have to dig it out, sometime, and find out the maker on that one.

First one I have seen with length adjusters on both ends....

Cecil Pierce, who made woodie planes for more than 50 years, during a period when that was an odd thing to do right up through the period when woodies got "rediscovered," advocated a 14 tpi hacksaw for cutting dovetails.

I've used one, more than once, with a regular hacksaw blade, for fine cuts in hardwoods. A good hacksaw frame permits very fine grade cutting.

Wondering about building a frame to hold that 12" long, 11 ppi saw blade.....but, on a smaller scale than the 18" frame saw I just made.

Apparently, I seemed to have given away the other two broom-handled hacksaws......sometime ago...can't find them, right now.

Smaller frame, may get the twine/paddle tensioner.....whether to make it a turning style?

I really like those straight-handled hacksaws. I feel I have more control on cuts that need to be more precise, such as slots.
    At last count, I had seven of them!
    Rick