Thread: Disston No. 42 Saw...Is there any hope?

Disston No. 42 Saw...Is there any hope?

This makes my short hand tool rust hunting hobby worthwhile! I had only recently read an article about the Disston Combination saws, then I found one!!!

A Disston No. 42!

BUT it is in horrible shape. The handle is cracked and one side of the plate is VERY rusty. The scratch awl is missing. I know this is a very rare saw and if it was in better shape is collectible and expensive.

I have done absolutely nothing to it since I bought it. Even the string tied around the handle is exactly as it was when I bought it.

Should I do anything to preserve or conserve it? If so what? Perhaps my ultimate goal will be to display it as the art that it is.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tony Corey; 11-17-2017 at 9:36 PM.

Beware the adage, "Rust never sleeps." I would go after the rust after carefully removing the handle. After rubbing away enough rust to get an idea of the condition of the plate, I would make a go-no-go decision concerning pitting and other damage. Bob Smalser has a number of articles on site that are relevant. The criteria is yours.

Nice find, Tony! I think I’d wait for Pete or Mike to weigh in. Pete’s a pro, and both have restored more saws than I’ll ever see in my lifetime. I believe Pete warned against trying to remove the nuts on another restoration thread. Can easily break beyond all hope. Give it a few days...I’m sure they will be along.

Simple Green and a razor blade scraper to remove the worst of the rustiness.

I'm assuming your reference to a "short hand tool rust hunting hobby" means that you haven't been at this for long.
    Here's my advice: DO NOT make this one your first saw restoration project.

Hopefully Mr Taran will be along with more specific advice.

I am not in a hurry to get started on this. I want to do the right things.

Joe you are correct, I am only just beginning to restore saws. I have a couple of saws from my late father in law that I am working on. Neither one of those are very old or rare. My intent with them is to simply get them cleaned up and sharpened so I can use them.

To that end, I am attending a saw sharpening class at Roy Underhill's Woodwright School tomorrow, taught by Bill Anderson. The No. 42 will be going with me and hopefully I will get some good advice from Bill, Roy and Ed.

Yikes, what a basket case. Considering the handle is held together with bailing twine and the state of the rust is extreme, I think if you really want to take the time to restore that saw, you won't be damaging anything. Those saws had no less than 6 bolts in the handle. There were 4 tapered pins that held the handle rigid and more importantly at right angles to the blade. Two were brass and two were steel. There were also 2 more traditional medallion nuts.

If you decide to remove the handle, it's unlikely that you will get it back together square again. I'd start scraping that saw with a single edged razor blade at a low angle. You can remove a lot of rust that way. Follow up with careful scrubbing with 220, 320 and up silicon carbide sandpaper. I wet mine with mineral spirits. The paper gets filled with rust fast, when it does, wipe the saw off with an old rag and repeat with a new piece of paper and fresh mineral spirits. A blade in that shape will take several hours to clean up. Remember, if they haven't been rusted away, there is a ruler at the top of the blade. You will want to preserve that as much as possible. I'd glue the handle back together with two part epoxy. Clamp it to close the cracks. Let dry overnight then work it with some steel wool and mineral spirits to get the dirt off. You should use acetone and a rag to get any epoxy off the handle before it hardens.

Finally, follow up with some Kramer's Antique restorer. Apply liberally several times and let dry. Buff at the end. While the handle is off the saw is a good time to refile and set the blade.

Remember, in this condition, your saw is never going to look like the one from my collection below, so don't overdo it. Accept the fact that you can end up with a usable tool, but not one that looks new again.

42.jpg

Thanks for the advice Pete.

It is indeed a basket case!! When I realized what it was, I was excited to find such a cool saw but sick to see it in that condition. At least I saved it from the saw painters. (it may be in too grungy even for a saw painter)

The goal may be to make it presentable and display it, rather than use it. I will use your advice and go slowly. Based on your description, removing the handle may not happen. I'll do the best I can with what I have to work with.

I guess it was worth the $15 I paid for it.

Tony

Even in its present condition, your saw is a great piece of tool heritage. It has seen a lot and been used by people who were dear to someone.

Mike,

I completely agree. What I hope to do is undo some of the neglect it has been given and preserve it so it may last another 100 years.

Tony