Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnetic vs mechanical switch: should I care?

Magnetic vs mechanical switch: should I care?

I know we've beaten the "which 8" jointer should I buy" question to death, and I know they all flatten boards and make nice edges, but I do have a quick question. I think I've narrowed it down to the Grizzly G0586 and the Yorkcraft YC-8J and I'm sure I'd be delighted with either. The Yorkie has actually been recently upgraded to a 2 HP motor and a 4 knife cutterhead, though from reading several posts it sounds like 4 knives are not really an advantage (perhaps a disadvantage since there's now one extra knife to align). Cost is pretty much a wash after factoring in the different delivery charges and the fact that the Yorkie has a built-in mobile base, which I really like. The Grizz has a magnetic switch, the Yorkie a mechanical one. Should that sway me at all? What's so desirable about a magnetic switch and would I ever notice the difference?
    -Rob

The only advantage that I have ever heard is that if the power goes out (i.e. blow a fuse), when the power is restored the mag. switch will be turned off and the mechanical will still be on presenting a safety issue.

Does anyone know if one switch will last longer than the other? I certainly would not let the switch be a major factor in the decision.

Yes, I would care. However, I am supprised that Yorkcraft has a mechanical switch. Can I assume that you have verified that with the Bridgewood people? If you haven't checked with BW, give them a call, it sounds strange to not have a magnetic switch on it.

The reason for the magnetic switch is that if a power failure occurs, the magnetic relay falls open. When power is returned, the machine will not restart because the relay is not engaged. You do not want to be fussing with the machine, have the power restored, and have a couple fingers go by the wayside.

IMO, you want a magnetic switch.
    Best Regards, Ken

yes, the Yorkie does have a mechanical switch

Ken,
    I called Wilke and was told that indeed the switch was mechanical and that a magnetic switch would likely add a lot to the cost of the machine (he thought something like $100). I don't know whom I spoke to (salesperson vs tech support); I just told the operator I had a question about the jointer. He didn't think it was a big deal.
    Rob

I have the Yorkie with the mechanical switch. I plan to use parts from Automation Direct to upgrade it to a magnetic switch. Should only cost around $40-50, not including a small enclusure which I can get at Lowes. That's the ONLY thing I don't like about mine.

Thanks Matt. I'd seen some of your positive comments about the jointer on previous posts--thanks for sharing your thoughts. But exactly what is it about that switch that you don't like?

I think magnetic switches are very important safety devices. I even installed one on my router table. I put the switch in after an incident where my router suddenly sprang to life when I plugged it in. Not sure how I had flipped the switch, but I clearly did. Unless there is a good reason to get a machine without a magnetic switch, I suggest you get one with a magnetic switch! My .02.

Over here magnetic (we call them No Volt Release - NVR) switches are a regulatory requirement. As others have said, it comes down to the risk of a false start after a power interruption. Even 40-50 dollars sounds like a lot for the upgrade. It would cost me about £20.

One advantage of a mechanical switch is remote control. I made sure my dust collector had a mechanical switch so that I could plug it into an outlet controlled by a wireless remote from anywhere in the shop - no wiring required.

Some magnetic switches have facilities to add remote control, but not the generic cheap kind. (I paid something like $30 for the 240 volt 20 or 30 amp relay controlled by the X10 system. X10.com is a terrible company to deal with, and they sell a lot of trash, but their basic stuff like this works fine).

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    [quote=Charlie Plesums]One advantage of a mechanical switch is remote control. I made sure my dust collector had a mechanical switch so that I could plug it into an outlet controlled by a wireless remote from anywhere in the shop - no wiring required.

Charile,
    There are may features in some of the basic mag switchs to aid in remote control.
    I used contacts off my saw to start the DC and provide 2 locations for an emergency shut off of the saw. All wireless.

TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

First Charlie you could use the X10 to pull in the coil of a magnetic relay just as easily so I fail to see an advantage for the mechanical switch. Second, the application you mention (DC) hardly has the operator safety in jepordy if the power should sputter unlike the jointer were the operator could be faced with numerious hazzards if power were to be intermittent and automatically reinstated. I think you can agree that the jointer operator could face some real pain. For the DC case it might only be hurt feelings.

I'm slow at typing and missed Tyler's comment.
    Last edited by Steve Stube; 11-04-2005 at 6:10 PM.
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve

[QUOTE=Ken Garlock]... You do not want to be fussing with the machine, have the power restored, and have a couple fingers go by the wayside./QUOTE]

IMO, if you're "fussing with the machine", it should be unplugged. At least, that's the way I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    I have the Yorkie with the mechanical switch. I plan to use parts from Automation Direct to upgrade it to a magnetic switch. Should only cost around $40-50, not including a small enclusure which I can get at Lowes. That's the ONLY thing I don't like about mine.
    I have no financial interest in automation direct, but have used them extensively and they have some great products..not as heavy duty as AB. but for most applications they are well suited

lou

[QUOTE=Rob Russell]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    ... You do not want to be fussing with the machine, have the power restored, and have a couple fingers go by the wayside./QUOTE]

IMO, if you're "fussing with the machine", it should be unplugged. At least, that's the way I do it.
    Rob, you are absolutely correct about unplugging. I was just trying to make a point about a reason for using a magnetic switch.
    Best Regards, Ken

I like having magnetic switches on my jointer and tablesaw.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter