Thread: Large Company Customers

Large Company Customers

Those of you doing business for large companies, particularly manufacturers: Some of these folks require your bank account information so they can pay you by ACH instead of a check. I've been avoiding giving that information out, but have been tempted recently. What do you guys think/do? In this world of hacks it seems like a bad idea....almost hard to believe they would ask.
    Epilog Lasers

None of my large clients have asked for that. I wouldn't have a problem with it. Save me a trip to the bank.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

I've had only one customer suggest that and I declined but if my large customers wanted to do it I would go along.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Like Tim said, saves me a trip to bank.
    I have handful of clients switched on direct deposit. They send me transaction confirmation when deposit is made.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

I have been paying bills with a high transfers for years, and never had a problem. We are doing ACH at my daytime job now for commercial/ industrial rent and utility bills, some over $50,000/month.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

On my website, I can accept payment by PayPal or Bank Trasnsfer. Around 5% of my customers use BT, but it does save in fees. However it can take some of them a few days to make the payment.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Whats the issue giving out your bank account no..?
    most of the payments I make and receive are Electronic funds transfers
    Rodney Gold, Toker Bros trophies, Cape Town , South Africa :
    Roland 2300 rotary . 3 x ISEL's ..1m x 500mm CnC .
    Tekcel 1200x2400 router , 900 x 600 60w Shenui laser , 1200 x 800 80w Reci tube Shenhui Laser
    6 x longtai lasers 400x600 60w , 1 x longtai 20w fiber
    2x Gravo manual engravers , Roland 540 large format printer/cutter. CLTT setup
    1600mm hot and cold laminator , 3x Dopag resin dispensers , sandblasting setup, acid etcher

Its not a large customer, its a large company that wants to be a customer. We have no idea what their buying habits will be. We have used ACH transfers for decades also, for paying bills and payroll. It's just handing out my main business account number, routing number and a voided check to anyone desiring our products that gives me pause. Even if they are a household name. This has come up about 5-6 times in the last few years. I have declined all so far, and they agreed to a check. But for this potential customer its a show stopper.

Anyway, thanks for the input.
    Epilog Lasers

Is you are really worried about it, go to your bank and setup an additional account and keep nothing in it. Let them transfer to that account, then you can transfer it to your normal account. The balance is back to zero, so there’s nothing for anyone to steal.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Scott has got the answer. Most banks would do for nothing. Don't lose customer over fear of this.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Pretty much all my clients are direct transfer, it's really common over here for that to be the way it's done.
    You did what !

Yeap , we are at about 85% now , some still use cheques and it’s a right PITA , I guess it gives them a few extra days of positive cash flow and there’s always a chance you could forget to cash it

Make sure to check with you bank to fully understand any fees involved. They can vary from bank to bank but some of them are a significant amount of money, especially if it involves a payment coming in from outside of the US.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

All of our customers are setup this way. Faster payments and you dont have to worry about a lost check, returned checks or running to the mail box every day.
    PNC offers US Business to Business transfers for free - Just completed one this morning. If its notable business with a solid background whats the worry ??
    3X Camfive 1200 48" x 24" 100watt Tube
    Zcorp 450 3d Printer
    Laguna Smartshop 2 - 4x8 ATC