Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammer K3 - difficulty squaring sliding table fence using cam-adjusted stop

Hammer K3 - difficulty squaring sliding table fence using cam-adjusted stop

I'm having difficulty setting the sliding table fence to 90° using the cam-adjusted stop attached to the side of the table. The instructions say to loosen the set screw and rotate the cam until 90° is attained. This method is tedious and imprecise. When I finally got the cam to where I thought it needed to be, tightening the set screw forces the cam to rotate out of adjustment. I found myself just tightening the cam and using a rubber dead hammer and a punch to tap the cam into position, which becomes another tedious trial and error exercise.

I'm curious how other K3 owners are squaring up their slider fences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scott vroom; 11-18-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Adding schematic
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I assume you're talking about the "short" fence that mounts directly to the slider wagon?

The outrigger/"big fence" has a bolt that moves a flip-up stop in/out to set the fence to 90*.

Correct, Dan.

My K3 was delivered with the stop out of adjustment to 90. For some reason I had assumed it would leave the factory set to 90.
    Last edited by scott vroom; 11-18-2017 at 2:10 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

See this first of two videos by Marius Hornberger about the K3 stop issue.

See this second of two videos (only one video per reply is allowed???)

Mike, thanks for posting those 2 videos. I searched the Felder online eShop and wasn't able to find the 2 pieces that, according to Marius, Felder redesigned with a March 2017 availability date. I'm forwarding the 2 vids to the Felder Dallas general manager tomorrow, maybe he knows something about this. For the amount of money I shelled out for my K3 I expected to receive "Quality and precision from Austria", as advertised.
    Scott Vroom

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Mike, thanks for posting those 2 videos. I searched the Felder online eShop and wasn't able to find the 2 pieces that, according to Marius, Felder redesigned with a March 2017 availability date. I'm forwarding the 2 vids to the Felder Dallas general manager tomorrow, maybe he knows something about this. For the amount of money I shelled out for my K3 I expected to receive "Quality and precision from Austria", as advertised.
    I agree and I think Marius made a similar comment, which Felder apparently heard. He has a couple more videos about his K3, but the one that I recall now is how he fixed the problem with the blade height adjust handle dropping off while sawing (a small magnet glued inside the handle insert).

Here is the fence adjustment part on the German Felder e-shop:

http://de.feldershop.com/Saegen/Zube...rmattisch.html

The part is not cheap, at €77.23 with VAT (about $90). I assume this includes the flip stop and the miter adjustment replacement.

Scott
    It is under fence acc. in the e-shop. You have to choose which k-4 or hammer

Bob

Bob, thanks...I had overlooked it. $97.50+shipping to replace a part that in my view falls well short of their marketing pitch of "Quality and precision from Austria". I'll be on the phone tomorrow morning with the Felder GM in Dallas.
    Scott Vroom

As a follow up, here's Felder USA's response regarding the cam stop issue:

"New machines are still not being offered with the new stop. It is only available as an accessory.

Speaking frankly I never found an issue with the old design. Granted the newer one is easier to set, however once the "old" style is set correctly they do not migrate. I realize there is a long youtube video regarding this, though our position regarding the functionality of the "older" design has not changed."

Classic denial.
    Scott Vroom

Classic denial or the truth?

My B3 is 7 years old and the fence stop adjusts just fine.

I have no doubt that the new is easier to adjust, however I wouldn't spend the money to correct a problem I don't have.

That said it should be very easy to make the "New" one yourself.........Regards, Rod.

Hi Rod,

I tried adjusting it again this afternoon. The problem I'm having is that the cam rotates when re-tightening the set screw that locks the cam in place. How are you able to tighten the cam without causing it to rotate out of position?
    Scott Vroom

Hi Scott, I have the cam bolt snug enough that the cam can be rotated if you push on it hard enough.

The bolt for the flip stop is also snug, so that you have to apply a bit of pressure against it to rotate it, it doesn't just flop over.

I've always considered the slider mounted fence to be equivalent to a mitre gauge, pretty square but not perfect. It's as square as you can check with a square on a piece, say 6" wide, however for large panels I use the outrigger mounted fence which is far more accurate, using the 5 cut method in about 18" long pieces I'm within a couple of a thousands of an inch.

I like the idea of the new stop, however as I haven't had an issue I've never purchased one, or made one. Maybe I should get one to try out..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Scott, I have the cam bolt snug enough that the cam can be rotated if you push on it hard enough.

The bolt for the flip stop is also snug, so that you have to apply a bit of pressure against it to rotate it, it doesn't just flop over.

I've always considered the slider mounted fence to be equivalent to a mitre gauge, pretty square but not perfect. It's as square as you can check with a square on a piece, say 6" wide, however for large panels I use the outrigger mounted fence which is far more accurate, using the 5 cut method in about 18" long pieces I'm within a couple of a thousands of an inch.

I like the idea of the new stop, however as I haven't had an issue I've never purchased one, or made one. Maybe I should get one to try out..........Rod.
    Felder offered to sell the newly design stop and miter gauge base plate at a $30 discount. I'm ordering it today. I had previously ordered the optional outrigger and began installing it last evening. Up to this point I had been crosscutting 25" wide panels using the carriage mounted mitre, with unacceptable results....perhaps my expectations were too high. The outrigger should resolve the accuracy problems. Thanks.
    Scott Vroom

Scott, please let me know how you like the new stop.

You'll love how easy the outrigger stop is to adjust...........Rod.