Thread: Swing-Away Tail Stock and Hollowing

Swing-Away Tail Stock and Hollowing

I'm going to be upgrading my lathe and am considering the laguna and grizzly models with the swing-away tail stock. Much of my turnings are hollow forms using the Jameison captured bar system. Does anyone have any experience with a swing-away tail stock and captured bar hollowing setup? Does the tail-stock get in the way of the hollowing setup? Thanks.

My lathe has a swing away tailstock and I use the Monster captured system for most of my hollowing. Have never had a problem with the tailstock interfering with the hollowing process.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I have a Jet 1642 and use a Jameison hollowing system. I just remove the tailstock when using.

I have the Jet 1642 and a Jaeison style hollower and use one of JTToolworks' "Down and Out" swing away units. Works great and saves the back.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I have a 20" yellow thing and the low bed extension which makes for a great jameison handmade tailend support system. Allows for a longer main shaft for deeper vases ect.

I have the 3520b with the swing away til stock and the bed extension in the lower position. When swung away it does not interfere with any operation of both upper and lower beds.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a 4224 Powermatic and use the Clark Hollowing system and the swing away from Powermatic causes no problem. NOW, the swing away device from Powermatic is one of the most poorly manufactured or designed accessory I have ever seen. When the tailstock is swung back up and screwed into place, when you try to slide the tailstock back on the ways it does not align correctly. I called Powermatic and the response was less than satisfactory. Basically I could have been talking to the wall and probably was. There was no "real" attempt to try and help. Just silence.

And I'm just the opposite the Powermatic swing away that I have is perfect and I have absolutely no problem with alignment when reseating it after deployment, works perfectly.

I have the swing away that was sold by J.T.Turnings mounted on a PM3520B and it get used a lot. I did have considerable problems getting it aligned. The part that the taillstock is parked on is slightly thinner than the thickness of the way on the lathe. It took several shims to get aligned. The swing away from PM looks like a knock off of the J.T.Turnings with a few up grades. I thought it would be an easy bolt on job but that wasn't what happened. I have had mine for several years and really like how it works after I got it aligned.
    Fred

I have the Laguna 2436 (old version, same as the Grizzly GO800). The lathe has been outstanding for two years now. The tailstock swing away works great. The limited amount of hollowing that I do, I use the Hollowfast system which incorporates the tailstock.

The swing away for the Powermatic swings down and away taking it completely out of the way of everything. The Grizzly G0800 just moves it in a parallel arc which for me would still be in the way. When I installed mine I used the tail stock half on the bed and half on the swing away and I have near perfect alignment.

Tailstock Swinger

Hi. I have a Oneway 2036 lathe and I'm thinking of adding a tailstock swinger. Where I've seen it listed, you have to pick between a 24"and a 16". Does anyone know if the 24" one will fit my 2036?
    Thanks,
    John