Thread: Paint that is sprayable with HVLP gun???

Paint that is sprayable with HVLP gun???

Hi everyone,

I have been using Sherwin Williams pro-classic on my projects for several years now. I have a Graco airless sprayer which works really well. The problem is that the airless sprayer wastes a TON of paint. My sprayer is a bigger model that works with 5 gallon buckets. It really doesn’t like working with 1 gallon cans. It will spray from gallon cans, but just priming the sprayer uses nearly a quart. It definitely wouldn’t work from a quart can. Plus cleanup is a pain and makes a mess.

So... I’m looking for an alternative that I could spray from the HVLP gun I use for automotive painting. I have no idea what paint to use.

Does anyone one out there have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Damion

General Finishes "milk paint" (which is an acrylic, not real "milk paint") comes to mind as does tinted Target Coatings EM6xxx. Both spray beautifully with an HPLV conversion gun. Benjamin Moore Advance is also a potential target, although it is best sprayed with a pressure-assisted gun, according to some other folks here. I have been been happy spraying it with my HPLV conversion gun.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you spray auto paint you have access to enamels, acrylics and polyurethanes that beat the daylights out of common architectural coatings. Look no further. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

I just sprayed GF Enduro pigmented poly in white and it came out fantastic. This was my first time spraying anything and it was incredibly forgiving and turned out great.

I spray SW Kem Aqua+ white paint and surfacer through my fuji Q5 on nearly every project and love the stuff. Both are super thin and easy to spray.