Thread: Tape Dispenser

Tape Dispenser

Getting a lot of rolls of tape, masking, two sided tape, blue tape, clear tape, all kinds. Looking for a good way to keep them some type of dispenser. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Goins View Post
    Getting a lot of rolls of tape, masking, two sided tape, blue tape, clear tape, all kinds. Looking for a good way to keep them some type of dispenser. Thanks
    Tim,

Sorry, I don't have a good dispenser recommendation. I do use a method that has worked for me.

The problem I find with dispensers is they (at least those I've seen) expose a few inches of the tape to the air and to any dust, cat hair, or small winged insects that may be in the air. I've been pretty happy with a high-tech method that keeps the end of the rolls covered:

tape-storage.jpg

Also, I often like to take the roll to the project within or sometimes outside the shop which may be harder to do if the roll is in a dispenser.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I use a drawer.

tape drawers.jpg

Or apparently . .. two.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 11-18-2017 at 10:20 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I use a drawer.

tape drawers.jpg

Or apparently . .. two.
    And what nice drawers they are! I want to be organized like that when I grow up.

Hey, is that green painters tape or the 3M/Scotch masking tape for "hard to stick" surfaces? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4AY That tape is probably my most used tape around the shop and the house.

JKJ

tape gun.jpg
    Maybe build a gun to apply the tape?
    May need one for each roll....

I personally have not made one yet but I had this photo saved for future projects. It used a hack saw blade to cut the tape. Thought it would be a quick and practical project someday (still working on getting the shop configured first). I dont remember where I came acrossed the picture so I cant give appropriate credit at this time.
    tape dispenser.jpg
    Last edited by Ethan Spronk; 11-24-2017 at 5:37 PM.

My tape holder is not a dispenser, but looks like an extra long paper towel holder above my workbench. It's long enough to hold a roll of towels and around 8 rolls or various size tapes. Not very pretty but functional.

paper towels

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    My tape holder is not a dispenser, but looks like an extra long paper towel holder above my workbench. It's long enough to hold a roll of towels and around 8 rolls or various size tapes. Not very pretty but functional.
    Speaking of paper towels, working at the lathe and with glue and such I found I often needed only a small piece of paper towel so I tore off a corner. With a hint from Bill McWhirter I started to cut rolls of shop towels into smaller sections. I use a sharp fillet knife and make various sizes - the half-wide roll is enough for many shop things. Above the lathe I put a narrow roll on my sandpaper roll holder, just the right size for me:

lathe_wall_papertowel_IMG_5.jpg

I find a roll goes a lot further now. Bought one at a time the rolls are expensive so I bought a case of 30 on sale. At the rate I'm using them now I'll be gone before they are.

JKJ