Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting 16 mm hardened steel with hacksaw

You can also buy a cordless angle grinder for less money then calling a locksmith.
    Bill

It would be a lot more fun to get a flask of liquid nitrogen and a sledgehammer...

Just sayin'...

The Home Depot on 23rd street has a selection of cordless angle grinders. Otherwise the nearest HF is all the way down on Goanus..

Check to see if there is a tool lending service at your local library that can loan you an angle grinder. I recall the first time I tried to cut hardened steel with a Sawzall. The steel took the teeth off the metal-cutting blade in no time flat. Otherwise, I'm all for the HF grinder. Less than $15 and you also have a tool that can be used later on.

I thought about drilling out the cylinder, however, I did not bother to make the effort to attempt as I suspose the disk-detainer type of locks are designed for protecting from drilling.
    Eventually, I got a brushed cordless angle grinder of 6500 rpm from Home Depot. With a metal cut-off wheel, it took about 90 seconds to make a single cut. Then I was able to rotate the cut shackle to release my bike free. (I thought I had to make two cut).
    (I was only considering to give it a try with this cheap brushed grinder with the default 1.3 A 18 V battery, and thought that I might have to upgrade to 10000 rpm brushless one with 4A battery. But it worked. And with this battery of only 1.3A, it can even last for 8 - 10 minutes under load based on antoher test afterwards.)
    // Pretty funny, I was cutting the lock in busy hour of the day right outside the main entrance of a large building, huge noise and sparks drew no attention at all to passerbys. Only a security guy in that area approached in the middle of my cutting and smiled at me "Cutting your own bike?", I said yes, When he was about to leave, I voluntarily showed him my Amazon orders of the bike lock and tire as the only evidence I can eaisly get to prove the ownership.