Thread: Rockwell 653

Rockwell 653

Hi Everyone,

First post here....I picked up a Rockwell 653 in good condition with a nice nick-free cutter-head and 2nd NOS cutter-head that looks like it was never used. I paid $60(needs a belt). I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to remove the cutter-head because I want to take it apart to clean, but when I attempted to take the cover off, it wont lift up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Everything fits very snugly on those. I have a newer version of that. It's an awesome tool.

Remove those 3 screws and then work a thin putty knife in between the cover and the body. Work around the edge so the cover lifts off evenly straight up. It needs to be snug to hold the bearing tight. When you get a gap, switch to a thicker tool like a screwdriver but be patient. If that cover hasn't been off in ages, it might be slow going but those 3 screws are the only thing holding the cover on. The rest is friction.

Much appreciated for the response, do you happen to have a manual that somehow you could scan and email me?

I do, and I'd be happy to but give me a week or so.

That would be great....thanks.

I see that Luther Conover has already scanned his, plus that is your exact model and mine is the newer Porter Cable Versa Plane.

But if that falls through, let me know.

I sent you a PM with my email. let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks again

I got it.
    So much for my memory- mine is not a Porter Cable it’s the Rockwell but it is painted gray however the manual shows the shiny metal one. It’s a small manual, just a pamphlet. I’ll scan it tonight while I watch football.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Dave,

Thanks, I was able to get the cover off as you said and the pictures you sent is what I found. I took the nut off, but the bearing wont come off nor the cutter head....any idea? Also, I have the Rockwell model as well, so the manual will come in hand if you get a chance.

Richie

Sent it via email.

WD40? it's just frozen in place because it's been so long since it has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Sent it via email.

WD40? it's just frozen in place because it's been so long since it has been removed.

Thanks Dave for all of your help....