Thread: Help deciding what to ask Santa for. G0514x2 -vs- Laguna 18bx

Question Help deciding what to ask Santa for. G0514x2 -vs- Laguna 18bx

I would love a new bandsaw. The wife has agreed that it is about time to get a new one, as I have been struggling with a bench top model for way too long. I have narrowed it down o the Grizzly G0514X2 and the Laguna 18X. I would love to say money is not an issue but $300 is $300.

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions.

I currently have several Grizzly tools and like them O.K..
    I hear the Laguna bandsaws are good but customer service I lacking.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/19-Extreme-Bandsaw-3HP-Single-Phase/G0514X2

https://lagunatools.com/classic-mach.../18bx-bandsaw/

I have the g0514x2. It is a fine saw. I have had no issues with it. For my money, if I had to pick a best place to spend that 300, it would be on the best darn blade I could afford. The blade is the thing.

I would buy the Laguna. Really if you have the saw for the next 10 years, is the $300 really even a factor.

The one time I called Laguna I was very happy with tech support.

I also had a good experience with Grizzly, looking for replacement bearings . The tech support guy said, if you want good bearings, don't buy them from Grizzly.

Guessing Grizzly will still have plenty of parts stocked for a g0514x2 in 10 years. Laguna will supply you a 404 error message - page not found message when you look up that bx saw in 5 years. But, maybe grizzly will have similar parts you can use on your laguna saw. If you want a laguna saw get one they painted their colors from italy and put a baldor motor on. That way you can at least go to the mfgs for parts if needed.

My vote would be the Laguna. I have had a Grizzly and curantly have a Laguna. I like the Laguna better, but the Grizzly is a good machine as well.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I think I will wait to see if there are any Holiday sales coming up over the coming weekend. That may be the deciding factor. The Laguna may also may be in stock locally.

<p>
    Honestly if I was searching in that price range I would be looking at the link below. It is a lot of saw for the money. I have a MM20 but if this saw would have been around when I bought mine I would have given it some very serious consideration. Of the two you mentioned though I would go with the Laguna I have a Laguna LT14 that I keep a 1/4in &nbsp;blade on and the saw is a fantastic piece of equipment I love the guides too. I have tried about every guide under the sun and the Laguna guides are my favorite hands down. I have a big resale blade on my Mini Max and never change it if I did I would have long ago trashed the Carter guides that came on it and replaced them with the ceramic Laguna guides. They work very well and I very easy to adjust.</p>
    <p>
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/r...SABEgLMI_D_BwE</p>
    Last edited by Dave Diaman; 11-19-2017 at 2:48 PM.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

The Rikon is a darned nice saw. You might look used. I know where there is a 27 inch Northfield Band saw for sale for less than the cost of that Rikon. That is about a $14,000 machine new.

Lots of good Italian saws around for that kind of money that will cut circles around the Griz, Rikon, or laguna.

As far as customer service goes, my smaller band saw is a Walker turner 14 inch from about 1941 or so. Their customer service went away during the Truman presidency and my saw runs several times a week and does just fine.

Of the saws you mentioned, Laguna or Rikon no contest. Griz builds a fantastic saw but 18 inches over 14 any day of the week and twice on Tuesday. Now if you were willing to look at say a 19 inch Grizz...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I have the g0514x2. It is a fine saw. I have had no issues with it. For my money, if I had to pick a best place to spend that 300, it would be on the best darn blade I could afford. The blade is the thing.
    I have blades made up from a local blade wholesale supply house. $20 buys me a nice blade 12' 6 " long for my Powermatic 87....one inch wide.

I can buy a lot of cheap blades for the price of one Resaw king.

I am looking at the 19 inch grizzly. Laguna is having a 10 percent off sale starting Thursday. That may be the deal maker.

$300 is $300, true. That said, were I you I'd consider jumping on a Minimax MM16 (S400??) while they're clearing them out in order to make room for the new ones with BOLD!! NEW!!! GRAPHICS!!!!

Yes, it would be a bigger step up than $300. It's also probably the best regarded bandsaw one can get new for less than the price of new small car. I've never read a bad word about the saw.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.