Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the right saw for the job? Small stuff...

Joe, I will try to post photos tomorrow.

Yup, that's the one that I have too. It truly is a masterpiece. Bob Michaels.

Joe, see Dennis Tebo's post with photos further down, that's the saw. You can get an idea of the small scale by comparing it to the left and right miter slots of the full size table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    I would want to re-saw and thickness plane the slabs to a more manageable thickness - lets say 1/4 inch like you need for the finished parts. So,to do the re-saw you'd want the bandsaw, then you could finish on the tablesaw with rip fence and / or sled. If you do go the table saw sled method make sure its a zero clearance base so you can more safely handle the off-cuts from small pieces.
    that would be my first step if I planned to use it all for the same boxes, but I doubt even a quarter of one of those slabs will be used for this same design. I'd hate to turn them into small pieces that I can only use for certain projects if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    Interesting thread. I noticed nobody recommended the GRR Micro Jig. Is this designed to do exactly what the OP needs? - or is it just for ripping?

Attachment 371996
    Only for ripping as far as I know. I have been wanting to get one for a while though since most of the instructional videos I watch on YouTube all have one and seem to swear by it for safety

I have spent a lot of time thinking about this lately trying to make a smart decision while still taking into account not only cost, but also space required, amount of use, and accessories needed to go along with each method. The more I think about it the more it makes sense for me to just get one of the incra sleds. I am kind of torn between the incra express and 1000se combo or the incra 5000 sled and a secondary miter gauge whether it be the 1000se or one of their cheaper miter gauges since the one in my Grizzly Binds in the channel I sometimes wonder if it was dropped before I bought it.

A mitre box with a stop.
    I had to make a zillion little "accent" pieces out of ebony for our kitchen cabinets, 5/16ths square, by a 1/4" thick. My Keen Kutter Mitre did them as quick as any machine would have.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

One of these would be nice. http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...intmakers.html Videos: http://www.bridgecitytools.com/defau...maker-pro.html

Re-read first post about funds. I suggest the hand saw like others.

Four inches is pretty long. For just one, a handsaw, for just a few the power miter, if it's hundreds I'd stack them up on a sled with a stop on the cabinet saw (with a fine-tooth cutoff blade) and have at it. A power miter with a stop is problematic because when you lift the saw you'll pickup the cutoffs with the backdrag on the teeth.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 11-29-2017 at 7:09 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Blog Entries
    Order of operations counts here, I would cut to width then resaw for thickness, then hand plane to a finish and finally cut to length.

This is not so hard, use a shooting board and cut to length with a handsaw.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-29-2017 at 8:40 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    What saw should I be using to cut tiny stuff like 1/4 x 1/4 x 4in pieces? I've been using my cabinet saw or bandsaw but neither seems like the right tool for the job. Should I be using some sort of sled or jig for stuff like that or adding a new tool all together like a mini table saw or tickler blade runner or something? I've even considered buying the benchtop bandsaw from grizzly and setting it up specificallyfor tasks like this since my bigger g0555lanv is setup with the 6" riser block and do it all sort of blades I can use it for everything from small redrawing to handling stuff just a bit too big for the scroll saw. Using the g0691 just feels wrong and is downright scary for stuff this small.

Hopefully there is an affordable solution, I'm a little tight on funds right now.
    Just make a small crosscut sled for your Grizz. Or buy the Miter 5000 package from Incra but that seems like total overkill for what you're doing, unless you're mitering or need angled cuts on that small stock.
    Last edited by Bill Graham; 11-29-2017 at 8:01 PM.