Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reclaimed industrial flooring

Morey, I'm not sure where where we differ on this,but thanks for adding detail.

Well I did purchase the whole lot @ $2.43 bdft. I feel ok with that for the most part. Can't really tell what's under the paint and grime unfortunately. It's a little knottier than I'd hope. That's probably my biggest gripe. Some of it is still really resiness and heavy and some of it doesn't weigh anything. Some of it has beautiful coloring and some just looks like a 2x4. Either way, I'm mostly happy with it (except all the knots). Here's a table I started. Not glued up yet just working on the layout.

IMG_20171127_192706_1-2016x1512.jpg

A important part of this equation is whether or not you have the time and ability to safely strip the lead-based paint off of the boards so you can use them. You can't just run them through the planer because that will get lead dust all over the place and dull the planer knives very quickly. I have a friend who tried planing boards with lead-based paint on them and he said one 8-foot board totally dulled the knives. So you would have to use a chemical stripper to remove the paint from each board. I bought some beautiful vertical-grain red fir boards salvaged from an old rural church. But they had lead-based paint on one side. I finally gave them away because I didn't want to deal with stripping the paint off of them. YMMV.

--Geoff