Thread: Planer models equivalent to Craftsman 12"

Question Planer models equivalent to Craftsman 12"

I was gifted a used Craftsman 12" thickness planer (model # 351.217220, circa 2005), in really great condition. I tested it and noticed that the finish was great, but it was not leaving a flat, instead more of a cove. I opened it up and found the knives distorted by wood chips lodged between the knife and the cutter head. I removed the gib plate and knives for inspection.

While the knives are sharp and straight, the gib plates (blade locking bars) are distorted, probably from trying to remove too much wood at once. I can bang them straight again, but I would like to find replacements for them.

Anybody know of an equivalent model? The porter cable 12 1/2" looks almost identical, but not quite.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lloyd

have you tried sears? you have the model #..should be easy to replace.????
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Yeah, every parts place (sears included) indicates obsolete or "contact the manufacturer" - so not a lot of help there.

Lloyd

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

You might see if grizzly has an equivalent model, one of my local woodworking buddies rebuilt a sears planer with Grizzly parts. Lots of these machines are made in the same plants in Asia and sold under different names here.

Or use this as an excuse to up grade. Parks planers are widely available on the vintage market and are very heavy duty compared to that Sears planer.

Dewalt DW 735 is available all over the place used in decent shape for relatively short money.

Or upgrade slightly....for $600-800 used Powermatic 100, General 130, the 15 inch Asian planers....lots of stuff available.

I know tat years ago they were made by Foley Belsaw. Not use it they are still around
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I know tat years ago they were made by Foley Belsaw. Not use it they are still around
    The Foley Belsaw are large floor standing planers. the one in the orginal post is the small portable lunch top planers. Very different.

Quote Originally Posted by cody michael View Post
    The Foley Belsaw are large floor standing planers. the one in the orginal post is the small portable lunch top planers. Very different.
    Sorry didn’t notice that. I used to have the floor standing one that I was referring to.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Carroll View Post
    While the knives are sharp and straight, the gib plates (blade locking bars) are distorted, probably from trying to remove too much wood at once. I can bang them straight again, but I would like to find replacements for them.
    The gibs I'm used to in metalworking machines are basically flat strips with bevels. Are yours like that? If so and you can't find replacements perhaps a machine shop could make some.

JKJ

I second ereplacementparts.com. They provide "obsolete" replacement parts. Weird stuff happens on the business end of manufacturing. Turns out companies/brands sell rights to selling replacement parts. I've had to order a part from a third party vendor who had it drop shipped from the original manufacturer (who says the part is obsolete and wouldn't sell directly to me - they referred me to the third party vendor). A really patient salesperson explained the business model to me one day.

Thanks for the suggestions!

ereplacements lists the part as obsolete/unavailable, but that was part of my goal - if I can find similar models by other makers that are compatible, I might be able to find one that fits and isn't obsolete. I have a couple good possibilities, I'm likely to buy one of them and try it, even if I have to return it afterwards.

As for bigger/better/newer/more money models - I can't afford it, and I just want a planer that works. So...

I beat the gib plates flat again (pressed in a vise, and a little tapping), cleaned and reseated the blades (and got a good cut for my trouble - they are sharp!!), and voila! smooth as glass!

I think the issue was that the previous owner was trying to hog off too much material at one time, or maybe just shoved a crappy piece of wood through the planer. I don't mind taking off a little at a time, especially if it means the difference between having a planer, and not.

Thanks very much for all the good advice.

Lloyd