Thread: round over help - please

round over help - please

hello to all:

this is is my first post on the site. I need some help on how to round over the side of a bench. The side is a 2x10 and i want to use a 3/4” rounding bit and do both sides to complete a full round over. My question is this. Once I shape the side with a jig saw will I’ve able to Rout the edge with a bearing attached. If my cuts from the jigsaw are not perfect will the bit just follow the contour and obviously not look that good or should I use the bit without the bearing. I have attached a photo so it may be easier to see what I’m saying

thanks for any suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes, the bearing on the bit will follow the edge of the workpiece. That is, if the workpiece edge is rough, the rounded-over edge will be rough too. You should cut the curve with the jigsaw, and then smooth it with a sander before you cut the roundover.

An issue which you have not mentioned is this.... After you cut the 3/4" roundover on one face of the 2x10, you can't easily cut the roundover on the other face, because the first roundover removed the wood which the bearing needs to bear on. A simple fix is to use a smaller radius of roundover, like a 5/8" roundover.

Thank you Jamie. I did not think of that. Makes total sense. I will try what you said on a scrap piece to get the feel for it.

Depending on your cutter and the depth setting, you will either end up with a flat spot in the center or a small ridge (if the bearing rides below center). In either case, expect to hand-sand to blend the roundover into a smooth shape.

Tip: If you do a preliminary roundover before you smooth out the jigsaw cut with a sander, you'll have a lot less sanding to do since you only need to shape the center portion where the bearing makes contact.

Philip, Jerry's method for fixing your imperfections is spot on. It Dave's heaps of work. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

It's a bit difficult to tell from your image but to my eye that round over doesn't look anywhere near 3/4" radius. I think the test piece you mentioned would be a good idea prior to committing on the final product.

My jig saw cuts on curved surfaces usually get dressed with rasps and then files before they are ready for sandpaper. Saves a lot of elbow grease. Good luck!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I would recommend going the hand-tool route for this job. Buy a good hand-stitched cabinet maker's rasp and smooth and round over the curves yourself. You could get this done on both ends of the bench in less time than it would take you to get the router set up, dialed in, tested, and cut. That would leave just a bit of sanding and "Bob's Your Uncle."

TedP

Thanks for all the information. I am going to practice with the different techniques mentioned.