Thread: Plane Storage / Display

Plane Storage / Display

Christmas time is upon us and my father (while not concerned with receiving anything) is impossible to buy for. I’ve gotten him tools before but his collection is so expansive that getting him anything he doesn’t already have is virtually an impossibility. I do know that last week he finally got his Stanley No 1 and completed the entire set of bench planes. I thought maybe I could make him a storage case and somehow feature the No 1. Should I just make something for just the 1 or try to make something for all of them? Any great ideas on storage / display for the No 1? All of them?
    Anyone seen or done anything really cool?
    Bonus points for dimensions of the No 1...

Check out this one. It features a Stanley No. 1. But you may have a little trouble getting it ready for Christmas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cGNT-RSkEU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2Eg-fR-4oI
    Last edited by Roy Turbett; 11-19-2017 at 7:54 PM.

You should probably just measure your Dad's.

But Blood and Gore site says 5-1/2" long and 1-1/4" wide. (My Wood River knock-off is 1-1/2` wide and a total length of 5-3/4" long (includes the extension for tote). It is 4-1/2" high. Aside: The iron is 1-1/4 wide.)

I think a nice plane till and/or display case for his set would be very nice.

Fred

Thanks Roy...
    I don’t think he or I have enough Christmases left!

Can’t measure his; we’re several states apart. Maybe I let the cat out of the bag and make sure I have good dimensions...

You might look at getting him a Spill Plane. Look them up on Google - they are a lot of fun, if not very practical in this day and age. Red Rose Reproductions sells a good one, and so does Lee Valley.

TedP

Thanks for the tip!