Thread: Router motor

Router motor

It seems like there are hundreds of posts about router table motors. Just a quick addition to say that Woodcraft has the Portamate 3 1/4hp motor on sale for $130. I did have to have them find it on their website to get the discounted price.

Doc.
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Wow, that's $170 LESS than the industry standard Porter Cable 7518! Sounds way too good to be true. Any one owned one of these motors for years and can comment as to how it held up?
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

31% of the Amazon reviews give it 1 star. Sounds iffy to me.

I just bought the PC one a month or so back and when I questioned them about the PM one they indicated smaller bearings, less bearings, less weight/mass, etc. didn't say it was bad just that it wasn't built to same level as the PC. That said, I'm sure it would work okay in most setups.

It looks like Woodcraft is no longer carrying the router and was selling off stock: https://www.woodcraft.com/products/portamate-pm-p254-3-1-4-hp-variable-speed-router-motor

Last edited by Bill Graham; 11-20-2017 at 9:07 PM.

MLCS sells what the probably the same motor.
    https://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shop...r_motor_anchor
    At $219, I don't know that it's worth the risk though.

Jessem has just come out with a similar motor that appears to be single speed, with a SEPARATE switch box AND speed controller setup. This allows you to mount the controls where it's convenient for you, rather than having to fart around under the router table to change speed.

Details here: http://www.jessem.com/pow-r-tek-motor.html
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

That’s a slick setup John, but at $350 it’s quite a bit more expensive than the motor the OP posted.

My take: The PortaMate is a lot cheaper, and untested over any length of time, like the big Porter Cable of old. The big Porter Cable now, according to numerous reports) is prone to problems with its speed controller. Jessem may be moving in the right direction by offering a large motor with a separate speed controller, but the motor seems to be the same aforementioned (untested) PortaMate.

Looks like a crap shoot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    My take: The PortaMate is a lot cheaper, and untested over any length of time, like the big Porter Cable of old. The big Porter Cable now, according to numerous reports) is prone to problems with its speed controller. Jessem may be moving in the right direction by offering a large motor with a separate speed controller, but the motor seems to be the same aforementioned (untested) PortaMate.

Looks like a crap shoot to me.
    I liked the concept of the Jessem setup but wasn't sure how it would compare. For some reason I think I read that the motor was a Mikwaukee router though.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    I liked the concept of the Jessem setup but wasn't sure how it would compare. For some reason I think I read that the motor was a Mikwaukee router though.
    If it is a Milwaukee motor it should be a horse.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    There appears to be some truth to that. I sent an email to Jessem and received this response a few minutes ago:

"Our router is manufactured in China but we certainly looked at the PortaMate router however this router was designed here in house using specs from when we had a partnership with Milwaukee years ago."