Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temple Carpenter Video

Thanks for sharing, Stan. One thing I think I noticed is the use of square blocks as guides for chiseling perfect side on mortises. Versus eyeballing (which they seem to have the skill to do as well, a guide would certainly help me get more accurate sides on my mortises.

Blog Entries
    I didn't see the use of guide blocks, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. When do they use them?

IMO guide blocks are not necessary when you have a knife mark around the layout, but they may well be necessary when you're working from ink or pencil marks due to the thickness of the line.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I didn't see the use of guide blocks, maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention. When do they use them?

IMO guide blocks are not necessary when you have a knife mark around the layout, but they may well be necessary when you're working from ink or pencil marks due to the thickness of the line.

Brian:

I don't have the time, but the blocks, or rather fences, showed up when he was shaving the deep sides of the tenons/haunches on the ends of the carved kouryou (rainbow beam). I think it likely that the more experienced guys on the crew would not need to use them, but there is no way to deny their practicality.

Stan

Blog Entries
    Ah, thanks Stan!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.