Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

20 Nov 2017

Good Morning Everyone,
    I've been sick since Friday morning so my weekend has been taking meds, sleeping, drinking hot bullion, and more sleep. I feel terrible but I believe I'm on the mend. Today, my youngest son starts a new parttime job and my hopes and prayers are that he sticks with this one for a good long while.

I'll start this a little early in case I forget between now and Thursday...

H a p p y . . . T h a n k s g i v i n g . . . T o . . . Y o u . . . A l l !
    My hope for each of you is good health, prosperity, love, and great times with family.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

So good to get back into doing an actual woodworking project after many months of other activities.

I had purchased some nice cherry to make a printer cabinet with drawers. Friday night I was anxious to get the shop (I mean garage) set up for work on Saturday. After I cut the grass (hopefully not too many more cuts this year) I planed the boards to thickness and jointed them to make the 6 panels I need, saving the most interesting panel for the top.
    As an added bonus, I was able to successfully use my #6 plane in the process of jointing the boards

Then I removed the clamps and sanded the panels. What fun!

Hope you all have a very Happy Thanksgiving!!

John

'Glad you're starting to feel better, Dennis...it's not fun being under the weather.

Typical weekend for me. Saturday food shopping and other house oriented things before cooking the evening meal. I kinda use Saturday as my "day off" now since I'm in the shop every other day working on my current commission project. Speaking of which, I was back at that on Sunday after a quick trip to Costco to pick up the TVs that my girls are getting as early holiday gifts. The major portion of my project is a gigantic kitchen island top (I call it a "continent" ) but there is also an architectural aspect in that the particular new kitchen being provided for has a coat closet and a pantry that are getting "tops" that will reflect the same material and finish that the island is receiving. Only the edges are visible, so Sunday's work was to prepare the material for the edges and build the "field" of the cabinet stops from left-over scraps of wide pine flooring from our home addition project that were hanging out in our attic. They provide for a uniform surface for "up there" to support the finished and visible edges and since the underside is relieved for the original flooring use, they should stay stable and flat, too. Once again, I leveraged the idea of flexible assembly surface space which is so much easier now that I did some slight reconfiguration of my shop to have more open space...

IMG_1374.jpg

This week I start finishing work once the panels are completed for on top of the pantry and coat cabinets...that's gonna be fun with that really big surface. Fortunately, I have an alternative HPLV gun that uses a remote pot which should be very helpful to me to get good reach and reduce fatigue on my right arm.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, on your slider, to the right of the clamp, it appears that you attached a router table, or is that the shaper option?

I'll second the thoughts on feeling better. On the plus side, if you forget to wish a good holidays, you can always blame the medications...

This weekend was a payback weekend. I helped a friend rip up the flooring in his house. They are have the house completely redone, and needed some help before the new flooring came in today. He is one of the guys I can pretty much count on when I need a hand, so there was no hesitation in saying yes to helping him.

Yesterday I finished the permanent step out of the back patio door. And started testing the process of making and gluing the strips for a kayak. Going to try to make a wooden tube out of the strips. Just to get used to working with the strips. And how much a person has to bevel them to get the curve you need depending on the curve of the hull.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    H a p p y . . . T h a n k s g i v i n g . . . T o . . . Y o u . . . A l l !
    My hope for each of you is good health, prosperity, love, and great times with family.
    ...And safety and sanity in this insane world!

I certainly hope you are well recovered and very soon. And to echo what Jim B. said, it's no fun to be under the weather, especially when the weather is getting cold!

Most of my Saturday was finishing a crash preparation for Sunday lesson for about 70 elementary kids, a last minute cover for the person scheduled. Glad to say all went well.

Farm care couldn't stop so youngest grandson was here to help me!

Nico_IMG_20171119_153732_835.jpg Nico_IMG_20171118_120038_615.jpg

BTW, I really enjoy these threads you start every week! (How many years have you been doing this?) It's nice to see what others are up to. Like others, my weekend boundaries are indistinct 11 years after retirement, but that doesn't stop me.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    'Glad you're starting to feel better, Dennis...it's not fun being under the weather.

Typical weekend for me. Saturday food shopping and other house oriented things before cooking the evening meal. I kinda use Saturday as my "day off" now since I'm in the shop every other day working on my current commission project. Speaking of which, I was back at that on Sunday after a quick trip to Costco to pick up the TVs that my girls are getting as early holiday gifts. The major portion of my project is a gigantic kitchen island top (I call it a "continent" ) but there is also an architectural aspect in that the particular new kitchen being provided for has a coat closet and a pantry that are getting "tops" that will reflect the same material and finish that the island is receiving. Only the edges are visible, so Sunday's work was to prepare the material for the edges and build the "field" of the cabinet stops from left-over scraps of wide pine flooring from our home addition project that were hanging out in our attic. They provide for a uniform surface for "up there" to support the finished and visible edges and since the underside is relieved for the original flooring use, they should stay stable and flat, too. Once again, I leveraged the idea of flexible assembly surface space which is so much easier now that I did some slight reconfiguration of my shop to have more open space...

IMG_1374.jpg

This week I start finishing work once the panels are completed for on top of the pantry and coat cabinets...that's gonna be fun with that really big surface. Fortunately, I have an alternative HPLV gun that uses a remote pot which should be very helpful to me to get good reach and reduce fatigue on my right arm.
    Nice looking shop Jim. A reminder now that winter is moving in that I need to organize as well . PS. Jim=your concrete floor is level right?

ugh began colonoscopy prep. this is my second time in two years.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Ugh is right!

Dennis, hope you're back on your feet soon. The holidays are no convenient time to be laid up...or, "sick in bed with a nurse" as an old sheet metal shop teacher of mine used to say.

LOML and I purchased a new 2-horse bumper pull horse trailer this weekend. For her horse. Whoopee. Funny how she always manages to have other things to do when I ask if she wants to help me with a trip to the lumber yard.

I've also been preparing for an upcoming bed build by experimenting with the method that I'm going to use for making red oak look like antiqued pallet wood, for a rustic look that the client (my daughter and her hubby-to-be) have asked for as a wedding gift. A local supplier has a reasonably priced quantity of red oak 4/4 S2S short boards (uniform width pieces less than 6 feet in length) that I'll be resawing on my BS with a loosened 1/2" 3-tpi Timberwolf and then using the 3/8" pieces as veneers over an ash and birch ply frame. In addition to the rough-sawn pallet wood look, I'm using combinations of three different stain colors and then lightly burning the surface of some boards with a propane torch to achieve an antiqued look. The approach and construction methods (using bed rail hardware from Rockler) seem simple enough, but the wood prep and veneering process could add a few days to the overall time frame. Fortunately, I've got till mid-Februrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Jim, on your slider, to the right of the clamp, it appears that you attached a router table, or is that the shaper option?
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=BenchDog
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Gregory King View Post
    PS. Jim=your concrete floor is level right?
    Nope...the building was originally a 3.5 car garage. Floor slopes, but I deal with it.
    --

I think colonscaphy prep is worse than "under the weather". I haven't had one in about 10 years but will need to do it again next year.

I prepped the house for Thanksgiving Saturday and prepped the old 10 inch miter saw to cut 3 5/8 crown on Sunday. I also got up the first 3 pieces of crown, the longest a little over 12 feet long up and caulked. I'd rather use my 12 inch Hitachi but it is awfully heavy and the 10 inch works fine. I had to install a taller back fence, but it has holes for that, and I put a board on for the stop including tapping a couple 1/4 holes. It is working well. I did a fourth little piece tonight but plan to wait until I can work in daylight to keep going. I will probably take Wednesday as vacation and not go back until Monday so I should chew through the other 7 pieces with finish + another that I still need to finish in that time period. I am slow but the results are pretty good. Kitchen needs about 4 more pieces cut then I move to master bath and bedroom. I will probably run out before I get it all done but will then know exactly how much more to get. I think I will get the vanity I've been waiting over 2 months for sometime next weekend so it can go in too. That might prevent me finishing the crown but there is no deadline.

I made some solid progress on the benches for my kitchen booth, which are made from a repurposed church pew. Got them painted over the weekend (with my HVLP sprayer) and ready to install permanently. Still have to build the table part of the booth but I have temporary mock-up made out of MDF so I can play with the size/height/spacing until it feels right. Will eventually post some pics once its finally done ... whenever that is :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    You have my sympathies Joe. I'm on a 3 year schedule, I did my second one last month. They're sooo much fun.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Saturday was a trip to the Huonville agricultural show with the goats. It was a 3 1/2 hour trip each way and hot for the time of year. We did ok. The show was packed. We find that these days people flock to the small Ag shows and avoid the Hobart and Launceston Royal Shows. 23000 people through our goat section in one day.

Huonville is nearly as far south as it is possible to go in Tasmania. It is on the Huon River which is the home of the Huon pine, my all time favourite timber. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.