Thread: Sailling Canoe Geometry

Sailling Canoe Geometry

Hello,

I'm starting in on the design of a sailing/solo canoe for messing about on rivers near Philadelphia, but also the occasional lake trip in the Adirondacks or jaunt in the Pamlico Sound. My current leaning is towards Walter Dean's Sunnyside Cruiser from Canoecraft, possibly shortened to 14 feet, or modified to have a shallow v hull with a little rocker. Anyone sail a Sunnyside or even paddle one?

If someone has another suggestion, strip built or not (I believe I could figure out how to make it strip built in any case) I'd like to hear from you.
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

"Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Trevor,
    I don't know anything about sailing and not too much more about canoes. I do have plans to build a stitch and glue plywood canoe from an outfit called Selway/Fisher. They are based in the UK and many of their canoe plans include mods to accommodate sail . The particular model I plan to build has plans for mast, leeboard, etc. included at no additional cost. I have dealt with them twice and they have been accommodating and timely.

Best Regards,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lehn View Post
    Trevor,
    I don't know anything about sailing and not too much more about canoes. I do have plans to build a stitch and glue plywood canoe from an outfit called Selway/Fisher. They are based in the UK and many of their canoe plans include mods to accommodate sail . The particular model I plan to build has plans for mast, leeboard, etc. included at no additional cost. I have dealt with them twice and they have been accommodating and timely.

Best Regards,
    Ken

I've also dealt with Selway Fisher and found them to be very helpful. They're quick to reply to my questions and the plans I've ordered arrived much quicker than expected considering the distance, customs, etc.
    Mac

Blog Entries
    The most beautiful and well-balanced sailing canoe is Oughtred's MacGregor. I believe there are two or three length options. I built the 15.5' version or thereabout- long ago. It is glued lapstraje but could be built with strips- although the aesthetics just won't be the same.

Sailing canoes benefit from long, flat waterlines and river canoes benefit from more rocker. As long as you are talking flatwater rivers, it's no issue. I am not familiar with your area.

Another good link to some great information on Canoe Sailing is; http://www.solwaydory.co.uk/
    They're very creative and their designs are clean and well thought out.

Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    ... My current leaning is towards Walter Dean's Sunnyside Cruiser from Canoecraft, possibly shortened to 14 feet, or modified to have a shallow v hull with a little rocker. ...
    In about 2 minutes of Google I didn't learn whether that design is known to sail well or not but assuming that it is, that doesn't mean it will scaled down. Boat designs, especially sailboats, do not scale well. Speed, stability, weight, etc. do not change at the same rate. Stability changes as the 4th power of the waterline length (per Skene's Elements of Yacht Design) and you might find a 14' sailing version version of a 16' canoe not as much fun as you'd like. It could be expected to be significantly less stable. If you want a 14' boat you might do better to start with a good 14' design.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    ...If you want a 14' boat you might do better to start with a good 14' design.
    This. Unless you are a naval architect.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Ooooooh! Sailing a scaled-down canoe! How exciting. Just don't ever take a girl friend along; she won't appreciate the baths.

Danger, Will Robinson! Listen to those guys above. And go look at Selway Fisher's site: Selway Fisher Home Page
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I once built a 16' canoe, no sailing option thankfully as it turned out. Made two changes to the design. Made the already narrow boat an inch narrower. Made the stems vertical, giving it a longer waterline. It is fast and unstable. Following the designer's intent would have served me better.